Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another brainbuster from the bone head...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cheyennesuper, Nov 7, 2004.

1. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

According to the specs my truck is all-time 4-wheel...but there is the hubs on front with the lockout things ya turn.I'm confused /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what year is your? Likely it has a 203 transfer case. So being all time 4x4 with manual hubs means that you front driveshaft is spinning all the time but its not puting power to the wheels. They make part time kits for the 203 that will stop the front driveshaft from spinning. Decreased wear, and likely better gas mileage. less parasitic power loss as well.

3. cheyennesuper

Thanks man...yeah...its a '73 k5 but the guy i got it from said he put a th400/np203 on it...how can i tell if he already installed a conversion kit?..oh yeah,almost forgott...there its missing the front driveshaft for the 4x

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it doesnt have a conversion kit...
    unlocking the front hubs and not having the 203 in a 'lock' position will make it immobile.
    what position are the shifters in for normal driving?

5. cheyennesuper

the shifter is stuck in hi lock.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

To check if you have a part time case you need to see if you can get the shifter out of hi loc and into hi. After you get out of hi loc - Without a front driveshaft you will not move if it is full time. If it has been converted to part time you will be able to move.

7. cheyennesuper

ok...thanks.I need to fix the linkage er something on the shifter.It is stuck real good.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The shifter that was used on the 203 cases has a problem of not wanting to shift right. It may help to spray some penetrating fluid into the "box" that is between the shift lever and the linkages. I've had some 203's in the past that I needed to use my foot and kick them into/out of gear, and one of them needed a passenger to continuously hold his foot on the shifter to hold it into lo loc. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Edit: the linkages are adjustable, but it never seemed to help mine out at all.