Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another broken ring gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yuba K5, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

i listed a post a couple of weeks ago when my truck started thumpin.it was the ring gear.it hasnt been a year since i had the locker and 456s put in the damn thing.is this some sort of crazy bad luck or just what i should expect from a 10blt? i am running 35in tires,but have mostly kept in on the street except for one weekend in the sand.i am wondering if the place that did the work may have screwed up the lash. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

10 bolt + locker + 35" tires = broken 10 bolt.
    My buddy has gone through 3 10 bolts in the last year.
    He finaly swapped in a 14 bolt SF.

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

if you decrease the backlash a bit and increase the carrier preload it will help to stop the ring gear breakage but it's not really good for a highway driven truck.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The gear teeth start getting pretty small when you get to 4.56 gears in a 10-bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If you have a heavy right foot, you don't need to go off road to break 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a beefier axle. If you can find a 14 bolt single floater axle with the 6-lug bolt pattern, you'll have a pretty beefy setup and won't have to buy new wheels. Or you could have Donovan modify a 14-bolt full floater for 6-lugs and never have to worry about breakage again. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Or go all the way with a 14 bolt full floater out back and convert the front end to 8 lug and buy new wheels.