Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another broken tailgate window

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Well, that makes two of them for me. At least this one is covered by insurance, but the channels are all rusted, so I have a new piece of glass, but nothing to really attach it to!

I've pretty much decided to replace it with a piece of 3/8" plexiglass hinged to the top. I still have to look at how the hinges would attach and exactly how I'd fashion a locking latch.

Any shared experiences or thoughts appreciated.

John

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Those slides are still available at the dealer and they are cheaper then the Plexi and hinges /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. TwoCrowsDesign

I have another gate with a working window, but I'm not sure I want to deal with it anymore. I'm feeling like going all manual on the doors and windows. The power windows and locks have just become a power PITA.

John

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Have you checked out any of the truck shell places?

I bet they can order, if they don't already have in stock, some hinges, rear glass, and a lock mechanism.

Good luck.

5. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I seen a Leer Camper shell rear window attached to Blazer top.Looked pretty good.I am thinking of adding such a rear window to mine, first though i would like to make some sort of drip rail etc for the water to channel into and run down the sides.Then after the window of course I would find a truck tailgate to use.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. TwoCrowsDesign

That's the sort of thing that I'm thinking of. I saw an old cap the other day and the rear hatch looked to be in good shape. If only I could remember where I saw it.

I'll be keeping my Blazer's gate, but want to rip out the guts and build a couple of storage compartment across the width of it. Something for straps, chains, whatever else.

Thanks for posting

John

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I recently re-built my tailgate (manual) and It works great. My other truck has a camper shell with one of those pop-up tops and it is pretty poor compared to the factory roll-up window on the Blazer. If you don't seal it up, you will have fumes from your exhaust to deal with.

You can take it all apart and clean up everything - yes mine was rusted beyond recognition, and I was able to find less-rusted parts, sandblast and paint them and get it all back together and it works well. The tailgate shell was a new unit from LMC. I bought a new crank handle on ebay and a new upper seal from LMC and it works like new.

GM did a pretty good job of designing the thing to work right if it is cleaned up and adjusted.

Good luck.