Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Build Thread?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by babyburb, Mar 1, 2007.

?

Should I start my own build thread?

1. Yes, Go for it!

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, you are still classified as Private First Class NooB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm Nekkid.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I am planning on a major overhaul on my burb and wanted to know if I should make it into a build thread.
    My plans
    swap out 400/350/203 combo for built 454/400/205
    swap out D44 for D60 (when I find one locally!
    Disc brakes for the 14b (maybe during spring break!)
    76 cab swap for 90
    DIY4x flip kit, 4"tuff country lift with zero rates (in my living room floor waiting for installation)
    Custom Front and Rear Bumpers with 12000lb milemarker front 9000 warn on back.

What do ya think?

The wife asked me what was going to be original on the burb and all I could say is the frame and rear end. :D Then she said "Yep, built not bought!"

2. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

why not, just be detailed.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Heck yes! There are few enough burbs and even fewer burb build threads so ya of coarse.

4. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Definately.
    Build threads motivate me to work on my own junk.

5. sierra896

sierra896 1/2 ton status

Yes, I think a build thread is a good idea.

6. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

Build it. When you are ready for d 60 I have one 3 hours south of Dallas.

bigred81

7. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Ok.....

so I am going with the build thread. I talked to my wife last night and I have to finish up 3 projects that I have already started on my house and then I am free this summer to build "The MUTT". Being in the education field I have almost 3 months off paid. I will either be working on the MUTT or doing side jobs to pay for more stuff FOR the MutT.

As of now I have 4" HD Tuff Country front springs with HD front shackles, new greasable bushings, and a set of Zero rates for the front. For the back I have DIY4x's shackle flip, HD crosstied shackles, 56" springs to replace the stock 52"s, and zero rates for the back.

I have a 454 that I am going to disassemble and take the block to get it cleaned, balanced and honed. Plan on adding a bigger cam, roller rockers, and a set of headers at this point. If funds come in I plan on adding more stuff.

The Turbo 400 tranny will get a rebuild with a Transco shift kit and heavy duty sprag. I am still looking for a 205 to fit behind the 400. I plan on rebuilding this before the install as well.

I am still contemplating taking the 40 gal sub gas tank out and going with dual tanks out of the donor C20 pickup. These sit on the outside of the frame rails with skid plates built around them. Don't do much rock climbing so not much worried about that.

I have already completed the custom front bumper which holds my 12000 milemarker except drilling the hitch point holes, welding a little on the bottom and paint. I will add a custom rear bumper as well to mount my 9000 warn. This design is pending on my gas tank decision.

I am still looking for a donor body for better interior designs. (fold flat second seat and fold and pop out rear set) I want to keep the square front clip though.

Other mods I would like to get to if financially able is a D60 swap. Is a D60 stout enough to run 44 boggers? Idunno!

Also planning on adding stirrups on all 4 doors for the wife. These will be on 2 inch straps bolted to the interior floor for pull out use. Safe for my door frame incase someone forgets to pull them in. I DO NOT want any steps on the outside.

I have a BUNCH of small idears floating in the head and will post them if they come through.

So there are my plans. Watch for "THE MUTT" build thread. We'll see you then.

8. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Where do you plan to start? I'm looking to get serious with my Burb this spring/summer but I'm not sure where to begin. I've got a number of parts lying around like a BBC, 1-ton axles, etc. but they all need gone through and readied for install, which means $$$, so it all won't happen at once.

Good luck with your build. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

9. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Probably start with the suspension upgrade since I already have it. Next would be the custom rear bumper. The Mutt runs good right now with the sbc 400 so I can keep driving while I rebuild the 454/400 and keep looking for the 205. I would rather do the suspension and bumper now, then body swap with 1 or 2 inch body lift. I want to change out the entire drivetrain all at once. 454/400/205/D60 w/5.13 gears and Detroit locker for the 14bolt. Like you said though, all depends on the GREEN.:D

10. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Sounds like a good plan. Don't do like I do and get the job done then remeber you forgot to take pics. And yes, the 60 will hold up to the 44s if you are not to hard on it.