Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Burb tire question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 30-A rider, Jan 26, 2006.

1. 30-A rider

30-A rider Registered Member

On my 93 burb 4x4 I am running 285's on the stock 16" wheel, with no lift and no rubbing anywhere. Gonna be due for new tires soon. Question is what size do I need to run something a little wider while maintaining or even increasing the height of the current size tire I have now; and is this possible without creating any rubbing problems? Some on here have stated occasionally that they are getting away with a 295 and 305 without a lift.....anyone on here that can re-confirm this for me? Thanks for all replies.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Biggest factor you need to deal with is....how much sag does your suspension have....that will determine if you get any rubbing with 1 or 2 sizes up. On my 75 burb when I first bought it, it had stock suspension and 33's and at full stuff and full lock of the steering, I had no rubbing and those were 33x12.5x15

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would stick with the 285, I don't think your gonna get away with a 305/75/R16 without rubbing

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

How much do you flex the burb? I would think something that big with the 285's you dont do a whole lot. Tho I may be wrong. If springs are good I would go with a 305 or 33x12.5

5. 30-A rider

Actually the only off roading I do with the truck is take it on the beach which is real close to my house. the sand is fine deep powdery white sand. So, I dont flex the suspension very much at all...actually the most severe wok it does is probably going over speed bumps, and even then I dont go fater than a slow idele roll. Reason I want to go bigger is beacuse I absolutely hate airing down the pressure in my tires, only to have to drive home on 18-20 psi, or use a portable which takes forever, or go to a gas station to hope their air is working etc. With the 285 at standard pressure in the sand I need to get a little momentum cause at some thick spot without a running start even in 4 low I have come real close to getting stuck. So Im just looking for a bigger foot print so I dont have to let air out at all or even less. Follow me. So if I dont flex my suspension much at all..Can I get away with 295 or 305. I would love to hear from someone who as these on right now. If I cant never did a body lift before. What are pros and cons and how much should I go up to fit 305s. I would hope only 1-2 ". Thanks for the suggestions and info people!

6. trailblazr81

I would suggest a 305/70 tire. What type of tire you currently running? Street, A/t, M/t...? Different tread patterns can make a big difference. I wouldnt go body lift, if your rubbing could do some fender work or use a Zero-Rate.

7. 30-A rider

Currently running a non aggresive tread designed tire and plan to stay that way. Want to keep tire noise on road to a minimum and get the most miles. I would rather not trim fenders, and hate to purchase tires only to find a rub.

Excuse my ignorance but what is "zero rate" Im guessing its a spring? what is the benfit of "Zero rate"

8. 30-A rider

Zero rate?

9. trailblazr81

Its like a lift block but better. Can sefely be used front or rear. It actually bolts to the leaf pack, like an add-a-leaf but because of its design doesnt add any spring rate and alter ride quality. Its a great way to add an extra inch of ride height with really no consequences for those times when you only have a slight rud. Can also move axle forward or back an inch. Read this http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm

So perhaps a 305 BFG A/T?? As long as you have a 8" wide wheel.

10. 30-A rider

thanks trailblazr,

Zero rates were a great suggestion, nice site and looks like an outstanding product...but my truck is 93 with IFS so I cant use them on the front which is when if I was to run into any problem that would be where it is at. They recomended for what I was doing to go with a 1" body lift and that should get me the clearance to run 305/70's. They said the only sell and recomend 1" and dont sell or install anything larger considering all the extened linkages and body roll for a daily driver with a lift above 1. Another question. I have the stock 16" 6 lug aluminums on my truck are they 8" wide so tjhey can accept a 305/70 tire?

11. trailblazr81

The 305's should fit the wheel fine. Also if you have a slight rub you could always adjust the torsion bars. But would only want to go up one inch doing that. Would try to avoid the body lift if not needed.

12. 30-A rider

Why aviod a 1" body lift? What are the cons to this? What additional stress and or tweaking will this place on components? Only lift I have ever done was a 4" suspension lift on my old 72 GMC Jimmy, so Im a novice on the body lift stuff. Thanks for your input.

13. trailblazr81

Ive seen cases with body lifts where the body cracked around the mount to the frame. And alot of body lifts are not to be used with suspension lifts.
    And this doesnt just pertain to body lifts but... we lift the trucks to fit bigger tires. The tires give us the ground clearance and ability to make it throught the trails. I understand why someone with a newer $30,000+ truck doesnt want to hack up their fenders, but one day I plan to knock off the rust I have for fenders and stuff 38's with my 4" lift. The biggest tire with less amount of lift is what we want. Unless your mall pimpin and highway wheelin'. Then by all means lift it 16 inches throw on some 22's with 41" IROKS on your 2 wheel drive.

14. 91k2500

91k2500 Registered Member

I've got 35x12.50x15s on my K2500 with no lift. There was a lot of rubbing on the front, so I ditched the bumper for now. A bit of trimming would take care of it. There is minor rubbing when flexed out a lot.

So I also think you would be good with 305s and 1" lift. You could crank the torsion bars up 1" and do the zero rates in the rear, or go with the body lift. They would probably end up being about the same price. I would lean towards the suspension lift because if you are having a shop install the body lift, labor will be a lot. Your 16x8s will work with the 305s, but I'm not sure what the offset is on those, you might need to get some wheels with less backspacing.

15. 30-A rider

Again I dont off road a lot. Only time Im off the pavement is when I go on soft fine white sand at the beach near my house. Wanted bigger tires so I dont have to decrease tire pressure. Truck does not have any lift right now and although I know a suspension lift is always a more correct way to lift a truck, all of them go 2.5" and up most being 4" and up.....thats just way too high. I do want the largest tire with the smallest lift. From what I have calculated the 285/75-16 tires I have are 1" smaller than going to a 305/70-16. So 1" increased clearance should do it for the 305's. I dont know what the width increase will be so that is my next question, to determine if running 305's will require different wheels. If I do go with a body lift I will keep it to the minimum of 1" and I will install it myself, I will not have someone else do the install. Thanks again to all who have replied for your insight.... and any more opinion and or fuggestions are still very welcomed as I am definately learning.