Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another caddy caliper question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Oct 16, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well someone posted that the caddy calipers to look for are '76-'78 caddy eldorado calipers...
    Today i found some calipers off a '79 caddy seville.
    They have all the ebrake stuff complete, with the spring and lever and such... Are the '76-'78 the ONLY ones that will work?
    I think tommorow i'll go back, unbolt that caddy caliper, then take it over to a chevy truck and try to bolt it on the D44 front i saw at the junkyard.
    How much is a typical core charge for these calipers at the auto parts stores?
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Interestingly enough the core charge at my local parts house is like 15 bux. Not even worth getting cores for.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

The rotors for the caliper you refered to are thinner than the 3/4 ton front rotors that are used with the 76-78 El Dorado calipers.

4. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

jeffro,where are you getting yours from???A Z wants $80.00 core

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The '79 calipers open about 1/4-inch less than the 76-78 calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i checked 2 or 3 places and th ebest i found was national auto with 80 dollars for the caliper,15 core plus tax.thats where im getting mine.i called other stores and napa was the most expensive with 75 dollars caliper,65 dollars core plus tax.so if you call around your bound to find a good price.

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Motor parts in Kaufman. 80 bux for the Caddy caliper, 15 dollar core. Conversely, the 3/4 ton front is like 29 bux with a 50 dollar core. Since I have cores I opted for the non-ebrake calipers and will install a driveline park brake. I think it will be a cleaner application without the cables hanging down to the hubs.

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the drive shaft conversion ebrake costs a good amount of money i have heard unless you can build it yourself.id like to go that way but too mauch money for me.