Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another carb more problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i got the other carb but im still having problems it runs to lean or rich or something..it sounds like its desieling or something, and it doesnt seem to matter if the choke is closed or open..even though the choke doesnt seem to open all the way like it should. any one have any ideas? its spitting and sputtering out the tailpipes and making mild backfires and its just not right..i cant find any leaks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Adjust the timing and lower the idle speed. Backfires are usually timing related. And dieseling is also timing related , but mostly idle is too high. Just got to play with it a bit until she purrs. I would back off the timing a hair and try it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i really dont think its the timing this thing ran fine with the other carb on there, just the floats kept sinking or something on it or something..and ive tryed adjusting the idel on it doesnt make a difference in how it runs, just the RPM of course, and i cant actually seem to find mixture screws on this thing, the spots were they would look to be are just little rounded of stud things..this is also a quadrajet by the way..

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree, sounds like timing needs to be adjusted.

5. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    and i cant actually seem to find mixture screws on this thing, the spots were they would look to be are just little rounded of stud things..this is also a quadrajet by the way..

[/ QUOTE ]

Those things are the mixture screw. Originally there was a cap there so you couldn't touch them when new. Napa has a tool with a flexible shaft and some bits to fit those. Or you can find a small 1/4 drive socket that may turn it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

99% of so-called problems are usually ignition related.

7. pauly383

That I know, but when otherwise perfect and idle is high ,it will diesel. Timing is the first thing to check if it backfires. Been through all this until I found that perfect spot of truck driving and wheeling right /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

by dieseling now, i dont mean runs after i turn it of, i mean it sounds wierd when its running, like it doesnt sound like a v8 at all..the more i think about it the more im thinking maybe it is ignition related..

9. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 those are the magic numbers that I would check first.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh, there right unless someone poped the hood on me. it didnt runt like this till i swapped this carb on there. the other one it ran great expect for when the float would drop or something and cause it to flood out, but when it was fine it ran super..so its got to be carb related..im ganna take it of and have the dude give me another one hes got a bunch..

11. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    by dieseling now, i dont mean runs after i turn it of, i mean it sounds wierd when its running, like it doesnt sound like a v8 at all..the more i think about it the more im thinking maybe it is ignition related..

[/ QUOTE ]

Does sound like timing then. Does it sound like a ping ( like diesel truck acceleration ). If it is all the time , timing too far advanced. If it is only part throttle steady rpm cruise, it is too much vacuum advance, or octane too low, or gears to high. I would back off the timing and try it. You may also want to get an adjustable vacuum advance to help tune it in. Let us know how it goes /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but what i dont understand is why switching a carb would have an effect on the timing?

13. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    but what i dont understand is why switching a carb would have an effect on the timing?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you switched did you install the vacuum advance on the right port? That could cause it to advance when it shouldn't. Perhaps the distributor was moved by accident if it wasn't tightened enough. Sometimes it happens, good plan is to double check timing anyway when you do any work like this. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I would check all your vacuum connections again. This could be causing symptoms you describe. Is this a new carb?

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ill have to take a pic of it and show u guys cause im not 100% that all hoses are were there suppost to go. but they are all blocked of if they are not being used. theres also that really big openning thats threaded on the back that both of my q-jets have, and i pluged that with a threaded plug and thread tape to..and no the carb is just a used one a guy had..so..god knows haha

16. pauly383

The hose on the back of carb threaded is for power brakes, do you have manual brakes? Or are you hooked into manifold vacuum directly?

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its hooked into the manifold..yea its got power brakes lol and they do work so it must be and i think it is anyway