Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Carb Opinion: Edel Quad or Rochester Quad

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

One more carb opinion fellas. Edelbrock Quadrajet (manual choke)
    or
    Rochester Quadrajet (manual choke)?
    And why? Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The Q-jet is considered the off roaders choice cuz they can handle extream angles better than others. I have an Edle. Q-jet 1901, 750cfm. I have had realy good luck with it over the years and it has allways done well even hill climbs and bumpy trail crawlin.
    The main diff between the old desin and the new edlebrock is a two pice body so one less gasket to worrie about leaking or when rebuilding.
    Hope this helps

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I hate to keep syaing this, esp. when the question is qaudrajet vs. new quadrajet, but I have an Edelbrock Performer 600 and it does not mine any angles I give it.
    Even the steepest hillclimb that I can find is absolutely no problem, not even a hiccup.
    How steep? I don't have an angle finder or whatever, but steep enough that if you stop forward momentum, you're going down and it won't be pretty (hope you have a rollcage.)
    Stock out of the box, not even those offraod floats they sell.
    A friend, however, has a Holley 600 and it's crap for offroad (at least his is.) Hiccup over over anything, and don;t even bother try to climb anything it will stall out.
    Just my $0.02
    -- Mike

Oh, about the Quadrajet. If you were to buy one, I would go with the the new Edelbrock one. I personally think they are hard to tune, but I tried to tune a clapped out one so I'm sure a new one can run flat out. I just got tired of all the little pieces!

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I HAVE TWO QUADS ONE ON MY 74 350 BLAZER AND ONE ON MY 454 86 PICKUP. MY BROTHER HAS A EDELBROCK QUAD ON HIS BIG BLOCK 402 AND IT RUNS SUPERBLY. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH EITHER OF THEM. BOTH ARE ELECTRIC CHOKE AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. MY FRIEND HAS A HOLLEY ON HIS 350 JEEP AND HE HAS HAD ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS ON AND OFF ROAD. I WOULD PROBABLY GO WITH A NEW EDELBROCK QUAD WITH A ELECTRIC CHOKE. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

DAZED AND CONFUSED IN A 74 BLAZER

ZEPPLIN

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Boss, what info are you looking for.
    The Edelbrock is brand new not a rebuild like most 'new' Rochester Q-Jets will be. Also Edlebrock has a FULL line of parts and tech help with thier carbs.
    Go ahead and drop the $380 for a new Edelbrock Q-Jet and you will be happy! It should just bolt on and fire!! Mine did![​IMG]
    I accually will be tearing mine apart this weekend, been 5yrs and I have never had any problems with it nor done any mantinace to it besides spray cleaning and Air/Fuel adjust!
    GOFORIT!!
    [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

When I bought mine I was in this dilemma too. I contacted Edelbrock and they told me both were the same. They even used the same machines to build them as Rochester did. The advantage is that the Edelbrock is new. Go ahead with the Edelbrock.

The only problem I had with my new Edelbrock was that there tiny pieces of rubber or something like that right on the jets, so I spend about a week trying to figure out why I had no power.

I found a combo on Ebay that included the #1902 carb, the #2101 intake and a pair of chrome valve covers. Everything for about $380 you should check over there.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status