Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another carb ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudhog, Dec 2, 2000.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok i hope someone can help PLEASE!!!!! im getting tired of using starter fluid every morning and afternoon lol anyway i just rebuilt the carb (edelbrock600cfm manual choke)and put in new full pump and it is still being a b*%#h to start when it sites 4 more than 4 or 5 hours. i put a clear fuel filter in the rubber line next to the carb and after about 30 min or so it will be bone dry. it also did this before i rebuilt it but only when cold out but it is just getting worse now. anyone have any ideas or suggestions before i go postal on it lol
    thanks in advance

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm assuming that the new fuel filter you installed is between the fuel pump and the carb. If the filter is emptying after a while I would blame the pump, not the carb. The fuel pump has a diaphragm that acts as a check valve- the diaphragm open to allow fuel out and seats when the motor is shut off.

Another possibilty to consider could be that you're getting too much vacuum in your tank. Tank vacuum combined with a weak diaphragm in the fuel pump will actually "suck" the gas back towards the tank.

You can fix this by drilling a small hole through your gas cap, which prevents the vacuum from building up through your fuel system.

Hope this helps...........

3. FWP

FWP CRS

In addition to Canmore's thoughts, I would add that the bowl should always have gas in it, as the seats are above the bowl level. I might tend to look for a choke problem.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Starting fluid?

I have never heard anyone recommend using starting fluid on a gas vehicle. I even heard someone in a shop be asked about using starting fluid and them say a quick and firm NO, since it is too much and you can grenade the piston out the bottom if you got to much. Just curious. My carb needs rebuilt real bad and leaks through the gasket between the bottom and middle half and I have never had to use starting fluid. Well I would guess you have to have a good starter (I can turn mine over when cold with my starter and get 45 psi of oil pressure without firing the engine), I just turn mine over pump a few times and viola fires. Never have had to use starting fluid ever on a small block. My grandfather (old time mechanic) and my uncle (Built a many smallblock and Diesel mechanic) says to never use starting fluid on smallblock also. I even have no problems here in idaho since I have moved here when it is below freezing. My humble opinion :P

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

5. mudhog

Re: Starting fluid?

i dont have to use starter fluid but if i dont i have to turn it over 4 about 30 seconds and about 4 or 5 times to get it to fire. once it starts it runs better than when i bought it just wont start after it sites 4 more than 5 or 6 hours day or night

6. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

I would have to agree with Canmore.... I had a fuel pump go out and it had the same problem. I them put in a new pump and the thing went out in a week, so I had to buy another one. That would be the first thing I would check is the pump.

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Starting fluid?

Mudhog: Like Stimpy said, your new fuel pump could be bad from the manufacturer. Your problem is definitely fuel related, based both on the draining of the fuel filter you installed and on the fact that it takes a lot of cranking to get her fired up.

Your fuel pump runs off your cam. If you've lost pressure to the carb, it can take a lot of turns of the cam to get enough fuel back to the carb to get her started. Thats why you have to crank the hell out of her to get her started. I would take the fuel pump back and exchange it for another one, and inspect your fuel hoses closely. A pinhole in a fuel line can cause similar symptoms.

I had a few fuel pump problems when I first bought my Blazer. I solved them by installing a two stage electric pump back by the tank, and haven't had any trouble since.

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have a clear view filter too. It also dries up after a while, but it does start up very quickly. If it does get filled again once you crank it, your problem could be somewhere else. Try checking spark plugs and spark plug wires.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. mudhog

thanks everyone i think i found the problem i put new rubber fuel line up at the carb but didn't replace the small piece down by the fuel pump and after closer inspection it don't look to good so i will be putting a new one on today hope it solves the prob. i have been trying everything you guys have been telling me and no luck yet :)