Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another case of wrapped 57's...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 26, 2004.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Another case of wrapped 57\'s...

Just figured that I'd drop a quick post to let folks know that I thrashed a set of Ford 57's on the first time out this past weekend at the Badlands Offroad park in Indiana. Got so bad at one point that I used a set of vise grips to clamp the pack together to help it not wrap. PICS of what they look like after the trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the question is - when I go hunting for a new set of springs at the yard, what is my best choice? My current thought is 3/4 ton 56" leafs from a late 80's Burban. Sound about right? I've already got the Echobit flip and 6" shackles as well.

Ideas?

Thanks!
    -Dan

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Re: Another case of wrapped 57\'s...

That sucks. I have been wheelin' my 57's HARD for over a year now and have had no problems at all.

3. KRAZIE87K5

I don't know if its the tire size, the doubler, or what it is... but they bent up real quick. Ah well... hopefully I'll have better luck with the 56's. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Dan, you can also find the 56's under some 3/4-ton pickups. I just grabbed a set last week to replace the sagging 1/2-ton 56's under my '90 Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

What year did you pull yours from? I looked over a few the last time I went to the yard, and all I could find in PU's were either 52" or 63" packs... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

DAHMN! Glad I've got 56's sitting in the garage waiting to go in. What I done was removed the top leaf of the old 52" pack and used the top two leaves of the 56" pack... WHALA 1/2ton 56" pack /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    old top leaf and new top leaves pic #2 closeup of front and rear eyes, also of trimmed leaf
    You could turn the top 2 leaves around to either get a stock offset or 3" offset. Since I'm using the echobit flip and I already have a longer driveshaft for a taller lift I flipped the leaves to where its going to place the axle back 3.5" (then minus an 1" for the flip /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) I could redrill the pack or use a zerorate if I needed a little more lift. another offset pic

As soon as I put a couple bucks in my pocket I'm going to find some cheap 6" shackles and ubolts and put my lift on. So it could be a couple months before I get to test them out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. KRAZIE87K5

I think I'm just going to run the 3/4 ton spring for awhile... we'll see how it effects my flex. I really just want to be able to hammer on the gas and not worry about tearing the rear axle out.

8. jjlaughner

I think there is about the same # of leaves in both packs maybe a couple more in the 56"pack and leaves are a little thicker.

There are some 56" 1/2ton burbs also...

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    There are some 56" 1/2ton burbs also...

[/ QUOTE ]
    But most of them have sagged to the point of being about useless. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That's why I'm stepping up to the 3/4-ton springs on my '90 Sub.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Does flipping the spring leafs around really move the axle back how ever many inches /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Does flipping the spring leafs around really move the axle back how ever many inches /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

only if your using the 56" top leaf in place of the 52" like I did. Click on the links above for pics.
    The 56" and 52" springs are the same length from the front eye to the center pin... that makes the 56" spring 4" longer in the back. If you use them like I did, then yes it can move your axle back. I believe the 52" springs the center pic is centered, the 56" springs the center pin is not. Both are 26" from the front spring eye.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

OOOOH /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I get it now...So I replace the top 52" leaf with the top 56" spring to move it backwards? Interesting /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OOOOH /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I get it now...So I replace the top 52" leaf with the top 56" spring to move it backwards? Interesting /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you can use the 56" spring complete.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    But there are significant geometry issues when you flip the springs. I'm running flipped 57s. I've been through 4 sets in 2 years... Going coils (hopefully) before the latest set dies on me... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anti-wrap will help the longevity quite a bit.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just figured that I'd drop a quick post to let folks know that I thrashed a set of Ford 57's on the first time out this past weekend at the Badlands Offroad park in Indiana. Got so bad at one point that I used a set of vise grips to clamp the pack together to help it not wrap. PICS of what they look like after the trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the question is - when I go hunting for a new set of springs at the yard, what is my best choice? My current thought is 3/4 ton 56" leafs from a late 80's Burban. Sound about right? I've already got the Echobit flip and 6" shackles as well.

Ideas?

Thanks!
    -Dan

[/ QUOTE ] Is that what they call built Ford tuff ??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ] Is that what they call built Ford tuff ??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. BadDog

Well, I supose they could do like the 52" GMs and just sit there, stiff as a board, until they eventually break... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif "Like a Rock!" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I supose they could do like the 52" GMs and just sit there, stiff as a board, until they eventually break... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif "Like a Rock!" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My 52's aren't broken...
    I don't SEE any reason why 57" springs would benefit...
    there isn't many DRY ROCKS around here...

When I went wheeling with Dan...
    I saw nice rear flex...but at the same time...
    I saw axle-rap out the ass!!!

Since traction isn't as good out here...
    busting a set of 57" springs is more likely...
    from tire-spin...then braking a set of 52"s...
    from too much flex...just ask Dan!!!
    Just my .02!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. BadDog

Sure, but with big tires and gear reduction/power, leaf springs are rather challenged to control wrap anyway (even 52s, but they will typically do better than longer) especially if you have blocks. Add an anti-wrap bar and you have fixed that problem for any spring so you can get the rate/flex you want without sacrificing for axle wrap control (which leafs are notoriously bad for). And as for breaking 52s, I've been seeing broken 52s for most of my life. I saw them back in AL with the muddy hill climbs and trails and I've seen quite a few more of them out here in the rocks. My son's K5 which had never been wheeled hard at all had both 52" rears broken when we got it.