Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another chip Q.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Feb 16, 2005.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm just about-ish:D to put in a 355TBI motor into my '78. It has flat top pistons, Edelbrock performer cam (tbi one), stock intake and heads, stock throttle body with adjustable fuel reg and a body spacer, stock ignition system.
    Will an 'off the shelf' performance chip be good enough?
    If not, is there anyone on here (who's good at this!!) willing to burn me a chip (for a small financial reward ofcourse!:whistle: ) I have a couple of stock chips spare.
    I don't want to start burning my own as all that gear is hard to get hold of here and not cheap!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go over to thirdgen.org and check out the classifieds, (if they are up yet) and also check the forums, etc., to see if anyone is recommended.

IMO the ship burner should ask for a before/after winALDL scan to see how it looks before and after, and make sure everything is close enough. Don't believe you will EVER get it dead on with 1 burn, it will be a compromise, but the off-the-shelf chips are absolute garbage and not worth the cost of a stamp to send a check to them.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

http://www.speedtronics.net/aboutprominator.aspyou should try one of these. You can program your own and not need all the stuff that you would normaly need. Then if it is not right you do not have to wait for a new chip you just change some of the settings your self

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd agree with you, but he says stuff is expensive and tough to get over there.

If not planning on making changes in the future, then paying to have "one" ship burned is probably a break even proposition, with little to no learning necessary.

Shipping alone is probably prohibitive in his case.