Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another CKer's pet thread...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 11, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Our big dumb beast cut a right rear pad open saturday morning. We don't know how, she was out playing with the kids and came back inside trailing blood with every step. The cut was a very clean slice that separated the front and back half of the pad, I could see much of the pad dangling. Our best guess is that she was in our sloppy neighbors yard by their can and plastic recycle container (which is always overflowing and has can's and containers all around it on the ground), where we found a cutoff tin can lid sticking straight upward, probably a good slicer.

I washed it out and wrapped a bandage around her paw. Off to the vet... After 20 minutes, the bandage I made soaked through and she was leaving blood with every step. After an hour, no one in the vet waiting room could beleive they didn't take us right away. :surepal:

We finally get in, and the Dr. doesn't even look at the wound and tells me it's minimum $300 for the "pre-anesthesia" and tranq shots he just gave her.
    Then he tells me it will be another $200 minimum for surgury, probably more, but he won't know until she's subdued and on the table. I have to leave her and come back when she's done.

I hand them the GM card (the alternative was letting her bleed to death), and wave goodbye to the beater pickup truck I was looking at...

In the end, they accidentally over charged me the first time, but since the surgury was so much, I only owed them $230 when I picked her up, with a $45 follow-up tomorrow.

I was so proud of her, though, she is guard dog material.
    I had to stop for gas on the way to the vet, and as soon as the gas guy started coming toward the car, she growled protectively, and then barked at him when he got up to it. She barked at him again when he came back to collect cash. And she has a deep bark, she sounds like a 300 pound beast...
    Last week I was carrying big black bags on each shoulder, and she came up behind me and started growling and barking, ready to attack until I turned around and she saw my face. I've noticed she's only aggressive to people approaching a family member, she's fine if we walk up to someone else, and she was a blast at my son's birthday party last weekend.
    She still growls and barks at that neighbor, too, who incidentally materialized behind me yesterday in my yard. I almost threw a valve cover at him (they were almost bloody instead of greasy, JC :D ). Maybe he knew my poor pup was half crippled now... Focker needs to keep in his own damn yard.

So with that rambling mess, that was my saturday. I love that dog...

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you know it seems as though poeple spend so much money on vet stuff.
    i grew up in the county, we only called the vet if we absoultly had to.
    my dog went on a long arse walk, it was too hot outside for her and she got lost, we found her on the side of the road in the shade about 5 miles from our house.
    she had almost lost the pad on her right rear foot. we put a ton of bag balm on it and wrapped it up with a ace bandage and called it good, she was all better in about a week.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Mine just got the cast and cone off after about 4 months. Fell down the deck stairs and broke the paw (doesn't help being 40 lbs overweight). The vet put titanium pins and plate, fused some bone, and did a bone graft.

Long and short of it: I still have a fatass dog with a limp and I'm $3,200 dollars poorer. :doah:

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it's time to turn the neighbors in and have the powers that be make them clean up thier yard. It sounds dangerous for pets and children.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Gimme time... I have to offload them from the camera. No pics of the gore, just my goofy mutt with a radar dish around her head and a cast-looking bandage on her leg...

Surpip, I would have loved to NOT go to the vet... I know I said 20 minutes, but she soaked through the bandage before we left the house, in probably about 10 minutes. I wrapped a second bandage on top of it, which also soaked through when we got to the vet.
    We called the vet before deciding to take her, and of course they said come right in, but I probably would not have if she hadn't sliced the pad so deep and bled through the bandages so quick. She and other pets we've had have had cuts and boo-boo's before that we've ignored and turned out fine.

Had she cost me $3200, I might have had to give serious thought to home-veterinary work... :rotfl: :wink1:

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

LOL surpip "we put a ton of bag balm on it and wrapped it up with a ace bandage and called it good, she was all better in about a week."
    that stuff is awsome, great for everything. used to go through what seemed like gallons of the stufff back on the farm :D
    i can tbelive they charged so much for a simple things like that, i had a problem with my mutt and $500 later he got a $20 antibiotic. wish i had talked to my famiyl first, id had a new leaf on my truck by now :doah:

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

A $3 tube of super glue could have done the same job as the vet :doah: :whistle:

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

True, but the vet bill for the heart tattack from the pain would have high. :D

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

haha that was a trick in the factory i used to work in, dunk it in thinner (stops bleeding) and then glue- send u back out to the assembly line :crazy:

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Hey wasent trying to diss on you man hope you diddent take it the wrong way :o
    on the other hand our first dog, she stepped into a gopher hole and blew out her knee, we paid 650 for that one, sad thing is she died about 3 months later :mad:

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not taken that way at all, I just knew exactly what you meant. :thumb: