Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Computer Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JEBSR, Feb 18, 2007.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

When I came to Korea, I brought my gaming computer. It only has a 36gb hard drive and over here I download alot of movies so I will have something to watch and the hard drive just isn't big enough. I found a 500gb for a good price but someone told me I would have to partition it. My question is why can't I just run it as a single storage drive.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't remember what I had to do when I got my external hard drive, except that I followed the directions and within 30 minutes, I was moving stuff. Whatever you have to do, it's not that complicated...................

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is no need to make multiple partitions. A "single drive" is just one big partition. Now personally for me, multiple paritions are nice because you can reformat one drive and still keep the rest of the data safe. I have 4 partitions for my setup. But that is 2 harddrives. one partition for windows(the only one I ever reformat), one for music and random pictures, one for games, and one just because it is a seperate harddrive. I like it because I can update my PC, reinstall windows, and still keep my game saves and stuff safe.

if you are just going to install the second drive and keep the original 36gb drive, there is nothing to really do.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

That's what I needed to know, Thanks. I'm going to run the 36 for windows and my gamming software and the 500 for movies, music and all that crap.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no reason to partition up the second drive unless you want to.

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

some older motherboards will nt recognize anything over 200 gigs. so you partiotion it. follow the directons, its easy

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

spot on advice.

36 GB drive means you either have a really old IDE drive ... maybe not so smart for windows anymore. 500GB is a TON of space, why not replace the 36 all together? There are ways to do this without losing anything at all (google for norton ghost, or pm me and i'll explain).

The other possibility is that 36 gig is a SCSI drive. 36 is one of the common sizes for those. If thats the case depending on your motherboard, the drive you are looking at may not even work.

Do you happen to know the model of your motherboard? and have a link to the drive you are looking at?

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It's an Asus A8N32 SLI-deluxe board. I'm keeping the 36 because it's an 10,000 rpm Raptor. Once I am home I will remove the drive and put it in my regular computer. Normally this computer is for gamming only, so when I put it together I didn't need anything larger than the 36. Thanks for all the input guys.

9. CustomChevy

well then ****.

grab the best 500GB you can get (I like Seagate Baracuda's myself) SATA

turn off
    plug in
    reboot
    right click my computer, select manage. Goto Disk managment.

you will see your new drive, right click, make partition, let it format, done

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Here is the link to the two hard drives I am looking at. I have had good luck with Western Digital, but the Maxtor does have a better warrenty:dunno: . What do you think custom chevy?

11. CustomChevy

persoanlly i avoid maxtor like the plague, seen WAY to many die to early, and lost a good chunk of my movie collection on one.

WD are really very good overall, I just find the Seagate's I mentioned to be VERY quick and also have the same 5 year warrenty that maxtor is using now (thanks to seagate buying out maxtor not to long ago. maxtor is still making the drives for another year or so before seagate totally takes over).

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I'll see what I can get the seagate for then, if I can't get one resonable I will go with the WD then. Thanks.

13. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

14. CustomChevy

15. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Cool, I'll go ahead and order it this morning. Thanks for your help