Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another computer question..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Mar 29, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

on my computer..i had to replace the motherbourd..so i did..and reinstalled 98 on it..everything worked good...i start installing things...and i have to restart it a number of times for the different programs instructions...well after a certain number of reboots..i have gotten the same problem..(after re-installing 98 about 3 times now)..it will stop louding at the 98 screen...just stops..wont loud any farther..i dunno what it is...anyone got ideas? i biult this computer like 2 years ago and have forgotten a lot of things i used to know about them..since all i really do with them is go on here..check e-mail and music, and burn cds. its getting anoying now cuase i cant loud any pics of my truck either!!!

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

When I re-did mine last time it was a new motherboard/processor and all the old stuff, The problem I ran into was memory incompatability...whatever that means....once a buddy of mine put new memory in it it worked fine. Before the new memory it worked the first time I loaded windows but then it crashed, when I reloaded it crashed quicker and after 5-6 times it was all screwed up. Somthing about clock speed and the memory being in my old computer for so long we went from 3 sticks giving me 512 to 1 stick @ 512. Don't know if that helps but it worked for me

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have like 380 or so..cant rememeber..i did have like 256...but this bourd i bought came with a processor and a stick of memory..128..so the only thing i did was put this bourd in and the stick of memory that came with it..could it be the brands mixed matched?

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

If you only have 1 stick maybey its the wrong speed. Check the motherboard book and the mem stick to see if they are compatable. There is also somplace in the BIOS to change mem speed. You might also check the motherboard itself. The computer I had before this one crapped out after a few days and it turned out to be a bad motherboard

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

idunno i give up wha tthe frick is wrong with this thing. i tryed the stuff with the memory it makes no difference..nothing does. it still stops and freezes at the 98 screen and im NOT going to re-formatt it again cuase i know that wont fix it...i just dont see whats wrong here..

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Try a different video card. I had a problem once with a new AGP card. Win98 would not install with the card in. Card out, win98 installs perfectly, reinstall the card, win98 sees it and lives hapily ever after. Something with install refused to allow it to work with the card.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Just reread your original post.
    Boot in safe mode and uninstall all your hardware drivers one at a time, starting with the last one you installed. Reboot after each uninstall, and see if you can get it to boot.
    Take out all your hardware and reinstall each component one at a time, individually. Reinstall all your software, and reboot after every install.
    That'll help you at least narrow down what program/hardware in particular is causing the problem.

You might also try going Start->run, type "MSconfig" and hit enter. Go to the last tab (startup, I think), and take out everything but one that says something like "regscan" or similar, and "systray". There might be one or two others required that will cause funky activity if not loaded at startup, but at least you'll know if it's something in there stopping the system from booting...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ill try it..with my old mother bourd i had no probs..and with this one im fine for a while...but after installing liek 10 things..and rebooting the computer a number of times it does this everytime! i dont get how it can be fine and then ill restart it and get this and its like stuck all the time now. also..i can get it to boot up in safe mode..but not normally...