Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another damn hurricane....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big94gmc, Jul 7, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

....I'm really starting to hate living here. I pray Dennis goes elsewhere - I'm still not done fixing shiat from Ivan last year, and I'm only just now starting to get spare money for the trucks again. If I take on more damage again, I'm gonna faawking !!SCREAM!! :mad: and possibly go postal. I just hope and pray this strom either doesn't amount to much more then a soft Cat. 1, or it goes somewhere else....the thought if having to go through all the bullshiat of the power being out for 8 days, the insurance jerking me around, the contractors flooding the town and stealing your stuff - well, the thought just makes me feel sick. I'm tired of this crap.

Mother Nature is a biatch. Faawk her.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

R

See the Southeastern forum. :D :rotfl:

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Bite me, doughboy! :ignore:

:thumb:

4. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

f$%^&n dennis.....

Yeppers, here we go again... Just the threat of a hurricane is enough to send folks spending all their "discretionary income" on duct tape and generators... Changes the whole business scene... grrr :mad:

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yea I supposed to leave for Florida on Sunday for a weeks of vacation. All well maybe it will move farther west :crazy:

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i just got back from gulf shores wich is about 20 min from pensacola if i am correct.

we got hit by cindy and left, dennis sounds like its guna suck

7. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Charlie missed us by 20 miles last season. Looks likes we will get a taste of Dennis. Time to board up the windows and get out the c-rations, flash lights, stock up on stuff. Filled the tanks of my 2 Blazers to the tune $75,

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We keep getting warned that if a hurricane hits New orleans, it will cause the entire city to flood. Not a good thing at all. I hate those things, although someone always seems to throw a "hurricane party" when one gets close.

9. nvrenuf

Damn, you were just in my back yard. :doah:

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
  11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im still trying to figure out why people don't build homes out of concrete down there in hurricane country. I know historically people haven't used heavy masonry in that part of the world because of the humidity/weather didn't lend itself to that kind of construction... but for the love of pete, the technology has improved and other than breaking windows a hurricane isn't gonna do much to a concrete house!

j

12. Storm Trooper

Oh they are. I've checked out some killer looking mansions going up down there and they are solid or block concrete. I think that is the one big reason that if I have a place down there, I might have to build my own house.
    I'd like to have a bunker type room and pumps etc. to help keep it dry as possible. Of course the lower level would be disposable so it could fill with water. I just haven't figured out what would be best for a boat. Maybe they would let me build a two story boat house that could fill with water and the boat could float up inside? Hard to say.

13. Storm Trooper

Heres the latest picture from Panama City Beach
    [​IMG]

14. jekbrown

well its good to see that someone finally figured it out. Now, if only they'd start doing it in tornado alley, maybe I wouldn't have to watch news reports showing trailer parks blown away... ;)

j

15. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I guess you haven't heard about the Escambia bay bridge on I-10. Hurricane Ivan pretty much destroyed it. Its still has two spans of temporary steel decking. Traffic across the east bound lane is one lane a 35 mph. This was 9 months ago.

16. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

on up here closer to atlanta all we every get is winds and alot of rain off these things. Most of the family is either tampa way or daytona so they are way clear of this one.

17. jekbrown

lol, bridges and houses are two pretty different structures. I realize a hurricane is capable to damaging concrete (especially via storm surge)... but a well built concrete house is going to be 100x more hurricane resistant than anything made from wood.

j

18. Storm Trooper

So how did everyone make it through it? Any damage etc.?????

19. nvrenuf

Dude we don't all live in trailers down here, most inland homes don't have wheels and are made of brick.

As far as building homes out of concrete this probably isn't practical since the problem is wind peeling the roofs off rather than pushing down walls. Coastal homes must be above ground on pilings (the required height varies depending on location and relative sea level) so I doubt you could build those out of concrete in any remotely cost effective way. Even if you could build the beach houses out of concrete it wouldn't matter, the storm surge washes the foundation away so any type of structure will crumble - just look at the hotels and condos.

20. nvrenuf

My area did fine but the Pensacola, Fl area got hit fairly hard. Many people are without power and/or phone, the gas stations that have power to open are almost all out of fuel from the pre-storm exodus rush and stores can't open to supply groceries/ice/etc because of the power loss.

Over all the area did better than with hurricane Ivan but the still took a decent hit. I imagine it will be a couple of weeks before the majority of power is restored and things begin to feel "normal". :(