Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another damned tire dilema

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Proeliator, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Proeliator

Proeliator Registered Member

Okay, heres the deal. I run 40" Boggers but need new shoes. Now that I've moved I have to do much on-road driving to get to the mud so more Boggers won't cut it. Basically, I need tires that will last with asphalt driving, but still do good in the mud (don't do allota rocks). What do you guys recomend? I was thinking maybe ground hawgs. Swampers are a choice but I figure they would wear out to quick. All thoughts appreciated.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

BFG Mud Terrains are best of both worlds except really sticky mud. Sometimes Swampers are just the best. Good Year M/T are also a descent dual purpose tire. Just my personal opinions.

3. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

well I've heard the hawgs wear like iron, they are just a tad undersized. ringmaster4x4 had 40" hawgs on his rig, I'd say send him a PM. BFG's are going to be a giant step down, and swampers have pretty similar wear.

4. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Swamper radials might be the answer.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The new 40"x17" Goodyear MT/Rs.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

MTRs are some of the better tires made these days. I am sorta in the same sit as you are... have to drive on-road and dont wanna shred spendy rubber... I just run 35" procomp MTs on road... and 39.5 TSLs off-road. swapping back/forth takes some time...but Im not lazy so all is good.

j

7. Proeliator

Proeliator Registered Member

Remember guys, I'm running 40's...so that rules out bfgs or radial swampers anyways. I'm pretty much stuck with bias. The new 40 mt/rs are an option, but I know for a fact that they suck in deep sticky mud...which is exactly the type I wheel in. I'm only concerned that if I get swampers that they won't wear or handle much better on road than the boggers.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ground Hawg's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like some of those michelin radials would work great for you. They make some that are around 38.7 inches tall or so...close to the same height as a 40.

10. jekbrown

arent the 40" MTRs radial?

j

11. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

I would recommend super swamper SSR's but I don't know how big they come in. I have 35's on mine and I think they're the best tire I ever had.

12. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

If you want something that wears awesome, muds decent, and comes in a 40" I would have to say Ground Hawgs too. I had a set of 40's long time back and they were almost indestructiable. I know they aren't a bad price and they don't ride too bad for a bias ply.

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Stick with the TSL's, pay close attn to air pressure
    when on the road. Maybe even a tad overinflate when on the
    road if you can stand the stiffness.

14. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Never had them, and they cost mucho $$$, but supposedly Cepek F/Cs are decent in mud, are good for on-road as well, and last a while. They are also avail in the big sizes.

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

One guy I know hated his Hawgs, he said they were horrible on the street, but thats the only person I've heard bad things about them from. I've been thinking about gettinga set though, Ground Hawgs or Gumbo Mudders. SSR's come in 38's now. There needs to be a 40" TSL radial.

16. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I've had 2 sets of hawgs (35 & 40) and for wheeling they didn't do too bad, throw some massive clumps of mud straight up. For the street they don't ride too bad for a bias ply but if you let the truck sit for a long period the first mile will shake the crap outta you. Gumbo's I have found wear okay but ride really crappy and have not as many sidewall layers so they don't drive as good.

I have gotten up to 3 years of daily driving out of my swampers and I agree that if you watch the tire pressure you can get decent mileage out of them.

17. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

I have heard that Thornbirds are good on road, plus they have the TSL sidewall lugs for added traction. I don't know about mud though. I have not wheeled with mine (haven't put them on yet) so I couldn't tell you from experiance but thought I'd introject my 2 cents.

Later,
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

18. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Hawgs are OK if you play mostly in the mud and sand. They are the worst tire I have ever seen in the snow. I have the 38" TSL Radials and they wear great on the highway, but maybe to small if you currently have 40's. Maybe a set of the TSL Bias may be the best your gonna get??? Should wear like iron compared to the Boggers.

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The Thornbirds aren't very good tires for much if any type of wheeling from what everyone around here says.

As for the other question. I would have to say I would try a set of TSL bias plys. Just take care of them and watch the pressures like mentioned before. If not those I would say Hawg's.

20. jekbrown

yeah, avoid any tire whose common slang name on a offroad forum is "turdbirds"....

j