Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another dana 60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highlow, Dec 27, 2004.

1. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

I have a stock axled 74 blazer with 36" swampers on it, and slowly finishing the rest of the truck so I can finally take the damn thing hunting with me. Just yesterday a neighbor I didn't now came up to my house asking about a water tank I had laying in the back of our property that he was interested in. While we're talkin he notices my blazer and mentiones he has a set of 8 lug 3/4 ton axles. He keeps yapping about how bad he needs that tank so basically I told him I would trade the tank for the axles maybe but that I needed to go look at the axles first.
    So my question is what are identifying marks on the axles that I can look for to figure out exactly what they are. Also to sweeten the pot he claims that there is a transfer case and a transmission that go along with the axles. (supposedly these were purchased by a buddy of his that was going to convert a 2wheel blazer to a 4 wheel a long time a ago and never did it)

EAT BEEF

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

There is a tech article here with about 20 different diff cover examples, you might print this and take it with you.

A front D60 is identifyable by 4 bolts holding on the steering arm, a D44 or 10 bolt will have 3 (with the arm being horseshoe shaped). Take a look at the arm on your K5 for a 3 bolt example. A D60 will also have 1 ubolt and 2 studs for the pass side spring (beware a Dodge D44 uses a similar set up).

You might also post up some pics if you have a digi camera. :thumb:

3. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

can you give me a little more on where to find the tech sheet you are talking about. Yeah I do agree with the camera idea I was actually planning on that just for more input from you guys.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Here is the Axle ID Chart - http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml :thumb:

(You can find it with the drop down menu at the top right of the page. Go to "Technical", this article is at the very bottom).

5. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

thanks

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

well if he sed 3/4 ton axles its not a 60, unless he dosnt know what hes talking about

7. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

according to the tech sheet the 60 was used in 3/4 ton pickups and vans, so he could be right.

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

The dana 60 was only used in a 1 ton chevy truck. Dodge however does use the d60 in 3/4 ton trucks with the cummins diesel. And ford did use them with the f250 snow package.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The tech article mention the 60 could come in the 3/4 ton "REAR ENDS".. Not in the front. Only the 1 tons had the D60 front. Unless it was something like a Quiggly conversion on a Van....

What he probably has is a 14FF rear with a D44 or 10B front. But it could also be a 14SF 8 lug rear.