Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Death Wobble victory - with PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

About a month ago the 89 V3500 started getting regular visits from the Death Wobble fairy. After ruling out all the obvious causes, I decided to order a new D60 kingpin spring and bushing kit from ORD. I already knew about the fender washer trick, but decided that while I had the caps off I might as well swap in some new parts. I was glad I did.

The V3500 only has about 60K miles on it, but is still a 17 year old truck. The kingpin springs and bushings have been sitting under pressure for that amount of time, and it shows. Here's a pic of a new spring beside an old spring. Notice the height difference and the "lean" on the old spring:

[​IMG]

I also got a surprise when I pulled out the bushings. The passenger side bushing showed minimal wear, and probably could have been re-used, other than the fact that it has lost some if it's rigidity and has spread apart at the seam a wee bit. The driver's side, however, was a different story. It had obviously been allowed to travel up and down on the kingpin(due to a lack of pressure from the spring), and had developed a taper. The driver's side bushing is on the left(in all the following pics):

[​IMG]

I was also shocked to find that the tit(which keeps the bushing from spinning in the knuckle) on the driver's side had worn clean off. How that happened is beyond me.

[​IMG]

Here's another pic of the difference between the driver's side and passenger side bushing. Note the heavy taper and the lack of the keeper tit.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, I just thought I would share this discovery with you. I guess my point is that although the washer trick might work really well, there's nothing like using fresh new parts to fix a problem. I think I should add that I installed the existing spring cups on top of the spring, as per Stephen at ORD. It gives the spring a little more preload.

Final results? Well, I immediately felt the difference in the way the truck steered. Everything seemed a little tighter up front. Before I did the swap, the front end seemed to flop around, for lack of a better term, while going over railway crossings or cattle guards. With the new parts in I no longer felt that familiar shimmy.

And lo and behold, the Death Wobble disappeared. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the truck to do it, even on one stretch of road where it happened EVERY TIME I was on it for the last few trips. There always has to be an exception, of course: a minor case of DW appeared when I slammed on the brakes on a downhill slope on a VERY rough road, and it stopped the second I let off the brakes........:confused:. Oh well, at least I know what my next project is!!!!

I hope all of my rambling was of assistance, brothers.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Good write up.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You've been corrupted by Garage Tech. :doah: :D

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

sweet. i might have to look into that soon

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I need a D60 so I can experience the fun of death wobble.

6. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

44's get visited by the death wobble fairies also. Had that butt pucker experience. Not fun.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Glad to hear you got it fixed.'
    BTW...everytime I have had a 60 apart (without crossover), the tit on the DS side bushing is worn off. I think that it has to do with how the steering force is applied to that side kingpin.

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I remember when I replaced the steering knuckle springs on my Dana-60 with a set from ORD. My springs looked just like yours, and one of the bushings was cracked into three pieces.

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

haha yeah, on my old k5, my had some insane dw on my 10 bolt. ended up being the steering box

10. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I dont get DW through my steering. But i can see my windsheild and hood shaking around me. And my doors bounce up and down cause the bushings are worn. My seat i guess doesnt transfer the wobble to my body. So its all around me but not a thing felt by my body. LOL

11. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Awwww. Gosh. Our little Canuckian Paul is all growin up n doin his own semi major repairations.

Brings a tear to yer eye don' it?

:p:

:haha:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's an illness.

Any issues that you ran into or tricks to make it easier? I am soon to rebuild mine before swapping axles - a little preventative maintenance.

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ok Paul.. now that you have fixed everything and polished the truck I want it back.. for half the price!!!!

The thought of you with a wrench in your hand.... well... it makes me feel all warm inside....
    Our moderator.. actually working on his truck.. what next....!!!!:bow:

cam

14. Can Can

Chad:

I have a couple of tips that might help you avoid a little frustration.

First of all, take the grease fitting off both the top and bottom caps before you start the job. Position a jack underneath the knuckle(on the bottom bearing cap) because once you take the top cap off the knuckle will want to sag, making it harder to compress the spring and get the bolts/nuts started.

Secondly, you will need some sort of prybar to push down on the top cap when you go to button it back up. The rubber bumpstop on the frame is perfectly aligned with the top cap, so I used that as my leverage point. Speaaking of prying, you may have to pry the steering arm off once you've loosened the nuts on the driver's side knuckle. The passenger side cap popped off easily because the spring was pressing up on it, but the driver's side needed a little help.

Lastly, it REALLY helps to have a second pair of hands around. It's kinda tricky to apply pressure to the prybar AND get the bolts/nuts started- sure, it's doable, but it's a lot easier with help.

15. Can Can

That's kinda how I felt when you gave me that big hug when I was at your place, Cam.......:rotfl:

16. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I didn't "really" start feeling my truck shake till I put in new floors. You probably have some chevy rust-tastic suspension action going on there. :haha:

I didn't realize how much "suspension" action there was in the p/s seat, I actually got a little miffed my girl hadn't mentioned that her seat moved around as much as you could lean an office chair. :mad: Lucky I didn't loose her through the floor. :doah: I think? :crazy:

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Glad to see you got it done now it is time for some lift and 37X1250s:D

Ira

18. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

There must be some virus going around. Loungers picking up wrenches...

Good write up! I'm gonna have to keep it in mind when I venture down the D60 road.

:D

19. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I found a couple of longer bolts help with getting the cap down on the knuckle, then switch to the right size once it gets close enough to the knuckle. For the side with studs, you must use whatever you can to pry...

20. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol I have had some serious fun with death wobble,

you learn the roads you drive often real quick and adjust your driving to them, I had my dad behind me once and he flipped out thinking my truck had the wheels falling off!