Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another diesel swap post...6.5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, May 8, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

everyone always says that the 6.2 is gutless. however i still want the diesel because otherwise im not going to be able to afford to drive the thing. i assume the 6.5TD is a big step up performance-wise, but how will fuel economy compare with the 6.2?

i did a search, but for some reason i couldnt find the 6.5TD swap threads i read a year or so ago. how hard is it to swap the 6.5 into a k5 or pickup? do you think it would be worth the additional trouble and cost to run it or should i settle for a 6.2?

the truck will be on 40's, auto tranny w/ overdrive

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

That truck isnt going to be a speed demon either way and the fuel mileage difference wont be enough to justify the swap in my opinion... Id just stick with the 6.2, it will do what you want it to do.

Yet another reason why I didnt go ahead with my build, I realized that commuting in something like that just isnt feasable when you have no income in college....

Oh first words in a sentence are capitalized..

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6.5TD is NOT a big step up performance wise. If the price between the two swap wise was similar(say withint $500) I'd go with a 6.5. There is a bit more potential and hey, its already turbo(if you get a TD one). Consider the cost of a 6.2 swap then turbo charging the 6.2(whether using a stock 6.5L setup or Banks). I've seen some pretty cool things out for the Electronic 6.5Ls, was heavily considering getting one for a while. They sold it out from under me though.

4. muddybuddy

well id prefer to do a turbo. if there isnt much performance difference, maybe a turbo on the 6.2 would be easier, than the additional $$ for the 6.5.

5. daleearnhardt01

Well the additional money to put a turbo on a 6.2 could be used to get a 6.5TD. Id take a 6.5TD over a 6.2 + adding turbo if the cost was close like sled said. :waytogo:

6. muddybuddy

yea i like the fact that the 6.5TD has alot more potential down the road if i eventually wanna do more to it. so it would pretty much be the same cost to buy a 6.5TD as buyin a 6.2 and then turbo'n it? if thats the case then i guess ill go ahead and search for a 6.5td. i guess this would also require me to add some more computer stuff, but i can get a chip burned and everything to work with it correct?

7. daleearnhardt01

I dont know the costs really but Im saying if they are close to each other get the 6.5...

However another thing to think about..

You have to weigh the costs of doing this conversion vs the benefits gained. You have to realize that along with the engine, you have to get a new torque convertor, exhaust worked up, maybe a computer, wiring etc etc.

I dont know your plans but usually in a small college town like Harrisonburg and Blacksburg you pretty much just walk everywhere or ride the bus. I dont know how often you plan on going home and going on long distance wheeling trips etc but you should try and calculate the beneifts vs the costs of the swap....

8. muddybuddy

i know what your sayin.

as it is now, im going to need new exhaust anyways because of clearance issues. as for location, i wont be able to have a car at school til sophomore year, so the truck is going to be sitt'n most of that time except when i come home to work on it, thats why i was thinkin now would prolly be the best time to do it. when im 100% independent im not going to be able to pay for house payments and building a truck, so i was thinkin it would be best to get as much done to it now while i still have a "free" roof over my head. once its done, i plan to wheel a good bit when time allows, and also be able to make the drive home when necessary.

ill start lookin around and see what the 6.5td are goin for. it might just be more cost effecient to buy a cheap 6.2 k5 and swap my stuff over to that.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there were mechanical 6.5TDs. Less potential from what I know but easier and cheaper. Don't know anyone that burns custom chips for the 6.5s Diesel chips aren't like Gas chips. You don't NEED a chip when you put on a turbo or exhaust, it just changes the fuel delivery to increase power. Basically just throws more fuel at the engine. My buddy has an 05 Dodge Cummins with Twin Turbos, Banks intake ram, intercooler, big exhaust. It runs fine with the factory tune, just doesn't make maximum power until he throws the programmer and module at it. I think you missed what I was trying to say, there isn't A LOT more potential on a 6.5. 6.2s and 6.5s, well they are what they are, they don't Powerstrokes and they aren't Cummins. The potential isn't a whole hell of a lot more with a 6.5 vs a 6.2.

10. muddybuddy

no replacement for displacement:haha:

any idea what years 6.5TD were mechanical? are the non-turbo 6.5's any good? i dont necessarily need a turbo, i could always add it later when funds allow

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 6.5TD was mechanical up til '93. In '94 they went computer controlled and the nightmares began...

You can get about the same power out of either with the a turbo. I'd look for a '93 6.5TD, but if I couldn't find one easily or affordably I wouldn't hesitate to go with a decent 6.2. You can always add a turbo later.

I've run my 6.2 for three years now and still don't feel any pressing need to add a turbo.

A NA 6.2 will get you the best fuel mileage too. Quite a few guys here have seen 25+ mpg even with the horrifying aerodynamics our trucks have.

Rene

12. dhilgenberg

dhilgenberg Registered Member

I got an idea for you their muddy buddy how bout keep your 6.2 and throw the 6.5 intake and conversion kit so you can run the turbo on the 6.2 i have seen it done before pretty sweet but kind of tough i suggest seeing what you can find in a junk yard for 6.5 parts:D

13. muddybuddy

im jus gona keep my options open :) which ever i find first is what im goin with haha

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what's Involved In putting 6.5 turbo stuff on a 6.2 my 6.5 is getting pretty weak and I have a nearly new 6.2 in my garage

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it's the '93 from your profile the swap is pretty much a bolt on deal. IP, injectors, manifolds with crossover tube, turbo itself...should all bolt up. Physically the 6.2 and 6.5 are identical. '93 didn't use a computer for the engine at all...

Rene

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks, yes it's for my 93' it has nearly 500,000 hard miles with crappy maintenace It's a Good truck though( as far as Ifs trucks go) and nearly every thing else has been rebuilt or replaced. I did just buy an ex power company truck at auction 98 3500 srw reg cab 4x4 with no bed for 1000.00 it has 120,000 on it and seems to be in very good shape I took the the flat bed of of my 93 and installed it on my "new Diesel" ( which also has a huge Winch and bumper hanging of the front) My 93' is gonna get new paint and a normal bed IF I can put this 6.2 in it