Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another doubler ? NWF specific

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Feb 2, 2007.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

For those running the NWF doubler. Has anyone had problems with it coming apart? I am just worried about the center index ring, Kind of looks like a week link.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im curious as well, as i will be going with their kit eventually. the kit appears to be very stout.

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Thats where mine will come from. As soon as someone gives me a 203 and 205 lol.

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know that there was one that broke at the center indexing ring.

I found the pics on another site.
    Here is a link.

http://www.brokebastardsoffroad.com/portal/index.php?page=3&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=20

I seem to remember this being here before but don't have time to look for it.

North west Fab worked something out with the guy from what I remember.

I personally have doubts about the small bolt circle and everything staying tight. I however am not an engineer nor the designer of the parts so I don't know.

5. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that does look like a week link for certain. Looks to me like that clocking ring with only 4 small bolts holding it together would be very prone to failure on a heavy rig with lots of power.

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

NWF Doubler

I purchased a NWF doubler kit this past summer. Due to family issues, I wasn't able to install it quickly, and as a matter of fact, I just finished the install over Christmas break. Then I had to wait on driveshafts. Currently, everything is finished, except for bleeding hydraulic clutch and filling the gear boxes with oil.

All of the Doubler manufacturers seem to recommend two supports under the tranny and transfer case. The clockable center indexing ring looks to be a weak spot to me as well, but the only actual load it should see would be if the two transfer cases were to be twisted against each other, and I don't think that would happen if you have two good mounting crossmembers.

I haven't wheeled the rig yet to test anything out, and I still need to make my other cross member. My garage has no heat, and its supposed to be frickin cold here in Ohio for the next week or so!

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I had the NWF doubler in my M880 and I hammered on it HARD. I had the NP205 isolator kit installed along with two other crossmembers. One for the tranny and one where the doubler provides mounting holes. IMO, as long as the engine, trans and cases are held in place with good mounts you won't have any worries.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Cool just what I wanted to hear.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The story I heard was the guy used the wrong bolts which didn't have enough thread engagement, I also seem to recall something about his crossmember set-up. Can't remember if he was only running a single crossmember or what though.

That center ring is spigoted to very tight tolerances which help the strength of that area a lot. Unless you have it lined up dead square it is difficult to get the two parts to mate. There seems to be 5 thou or less clearance between the two shaped parts.

Rene

10. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I remember that one. That would suck! Might be a maint item to be checked every wheeling trip??? Not sure how much cheaper they are but I have never heard or seen a ORD or WMS doubler setup fail. You get what you pay for I guess. Just my .02