Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another doubler Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by rvreddog, Apr 28, 2004.

1. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

I found a 465/203 at the local junckyard. They want 100.00 for the 203.I`m assuming this is the one I need to double my 465/205 but is it rare enough to justify that kind of price? I know some 203s go for 20.00,or less.What do you think?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Didn't that combo only come in one year 1974? I beleive it was 10 spline maybe, sorry has been a while since I looked into all this.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I found a 465/203 at the local junckyard. They want 100.00 for the 203.I`m assuming this is the one I need to double my 465/205 but is it rare enough to justify that kind of price? I know some 203s go for 20.00,or less.What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That 10 spline NP203 and adapter is a very rare combo. Only offered for one year and hard to find. If you plan on running a SM465 is is a very decent price from a junkyard. Most out here would be asking $500 or more for it just because it was a transfer case.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Buy it now! If it's the 203 alone, you need to check the splines in the input gear, the 10 spline is prone to wear and it could be bad. If that's the case, you might want to pass it up. If it has the adapter with it, it doesn't matter what condition it's in as long as the adapter is in one piece.

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

a bud of mine is paying $250 just for the adater and range box. so for a $100 you gotta deal

6. rvreddog

[ QUOTE ]
    Buy it now! If it's the 203 alone, you need to check the splines in the input gear, the 10 spline is prone to wear and it could be bad. If that's the case, you might want to pass it up. If it has the adapter with it, it doesn't matter what condition it's in as long as the adapter is in one piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats the case(prone to wear) wouldnt I just swap out that shaft and use that range box?

7. Stephen

When you start swapping input gears, any GM 203 will do. The beauty of this deal seems to be getting the adapter housing as part of it. The gearbox may or may not be what you need depending on the condition of the input. But you could always put the new input in that gearbox, that's not a problem.

8. rvreddog

I guess thats what I needed to know. By waiting to ask I missed the deal! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifSometime in the last 4 days someone decided they needed it more than me. I guess if I ever come across another one I`ll know better and grab it like a pork chop in a boarding house.

9. Stephen

Just knowing is usually half the battle, sometimes more.

10. rvreddog

I got that case after all.When I went there Fri.afternoon the owner said they had sold it,and crushed the Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifit was in.Sat.during a thunderstorm a bud of mine went there and talked to one of the guys in the back.He knew exactly where it was.I got the tranny back for 180.00.True to my word I jumped all over it!With momey being tight I`m now going to start buying a peice at a time till I get it ready to install.Thanks for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i paid 80 dollars with shipping for my addaptor alone. if it(the 203) has the 10 spline female input on it then go ahead and get it if the splines are not to bad.
    Grant

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Are you guys SURE the 465-203 was only offered for one year? I'm picking up a '79 with that combo for $100 in 2 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

As far as I can tell the 465/203 combo was only offered in 1974 & 1975 . I have a GM parts manual that shows part numbers for that set up in 1976 but I have never heard of any 1976 maodel GM truck with it .
    It could be possible that somebody swapped the tranny/transfer case out at some point ????

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I think that yo got a great deal on your 10 spline 203 !
    I paid $200.00 for my first 10 spline 203 and made a deal with the seller to only send me the adapter and input gear to save on shipping charges.
    I bought a second adapter ( because of how rare they are ) for $75.00 and figured that I would not find another one that cheap ever .
    Someone gave me a 27 spline 203 that was in very good shape and that is where I got my range box from.
    Both of my 203 adapters came from members on this board ( MJ & Wes ) so keep an eye out for good deals if Ya need a back up parts - they ain't making these parts anymore.....
    Anyway - I think that you found a great deal ! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Tom

15. rvreddog

I would definatly like to find a backup adapter,I`ve already broken two 205 adapters,and a 465 output shaft. With the extra lenght,and torque I`ll more than likely be breaking more stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. Stephen

We're working on a new adapter and already have a replacement 32 spl. output for the 465 that will work with the 203 and short adapter. I don't think you'll ever have problems with a 32 spl. shaft out of the trans with a Doubler behind it.

17. rvreddog

Didn`t the 465 with a 208 already have a 32 spline shaft? If so,is there any reason I couldn`t use that tranny?

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The 465/208 combo had a fairly long tail shaft length for the 465 . There is a way to make it work ( look on the ORD web site and it exsplains it all ) .
    The 32 spline shaft that Stephen is talking about is the same length as the short 10 spline shaft on the 465/203 & 465/205 combos .
    HTH , Tom

19. rvreddog

I see now,it`s the overall lenght that kills it(as the lightbulb comes on over my head).I do want the shortest setup I can get,then I`ll turn my rear springs around to get about three inches back.

20. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When you start swapping input gears, any GM 203 will do. The beauty of this deal seems to be getting the adapter housing as part of it. The gearbox may or may not be what you need depending on the condition of the input. But you could always put the new input in that gearbox, that's not a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, help out the dumb kid here. I have a friend with a 27 spline input 203 he was going to use for a doubler behind a T350. Long story short, that project got scrapped and he offered the 203 to me for free if I'd get it out of his way. I'm wanting to go with a nv4500 in front of a doubler... can I grab his 203 and swap in a 32 spline input? If so where do I find the beast? Thanks! Rich.