Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another driveshaft/ujoint newb question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 8, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok - so i'm trying to change out my ubolt so i can run the 14bff i have under my rig. after you pull the c-clips, what do you do?

edit - i'm an idiot and meant to say ujoints. i need to swap in the conversion joint and can't figure out how to remove the old one.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont know about anyone else but you lost me when you ask about C-clips and changing to 14 blt. If you are swapping axles there is no need to remove the c-clips, just unbolt the 4 ubolts disconnect brakes and e-brake and disconnnet d-shaft. Put new axle under install new ubolts, connect brake line and ebrake, bleed brakes, and install conversion ujoint and reconnect dshaft.

What are you really asking, put it simple I have had a quite a few New Castles:D.

Ira

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Up is down and down is up:confused:

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. so apparently i need to figure out what the hell i'm talking about. :) sorry. basically - how do you change a ujoint. sorry, just realized i previously said ubolt and meant ujoint.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If it is the stock shaft the caps are held into the yoke on the shaft with injected plastic rather than a snap ring or clip. You have to melt that out and then press the caps out with a socket larger than the cap on one side and one smaller than the cap on the other.

Ira