Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another exhaust post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Oct 16, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok
    as it stands, glasspacks then side exit pipes behind the tires...

im wanting to go back to turbo's for noise and performance(they were better at both)

im thinking of just nixing tail pipes altogether...

any advantages of having turn downs on the outlets of the mufflers as opposed to tailpipes?

2. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

What about that exhaust when youre parked? Is your rig AIRTIGHT? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Do you ever wheel through grass? You wouldnt wanna leave it running while parked for any length of time.

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about that exhaust when youre parked? Is your rig AIRTIGHT? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Do you ever wheel through grass? You wouldnt wanna leave it running while parked for any length of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run NO exhaust after the cat. No fumes killin' me, YET.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, just aim the turndown basically towards the bottom of your rear tire and you'll be fine. I havent seen it in a wind tunnel, but what I do know is that Im not chokin on exhaust gases in my rig when I drive with the top on or off.

the theoretical negatives seem pretty irrelevant... i mean, the hottest part of your exhaust is going to be your cat, not whats blowing out past the muffler... if you are parked in tall dry dead grass (and wth are you doing off the trail anyway?!) then your cat will be much more likely to start a fire. parked/running for a really long time? wha? when does that happen? maybe if you're in ur garage and trying to commit suicide or something! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

LMAO! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Good times!

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Mine just end at the muffler (near the rear axle, left side). I planned on running turndowns right on the muffler but haven't got around to it. I only get fumes when the rear window is down, and even then its only a faint (no pun intended) smell.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

mine has turn downs right before the rear end, no negetive effects so far. I don't notice exhaust in the truck when driving, unless the back window is down, but thats a common problem.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

In VA the exhaust must exit out of the passenger compartment. In your case if you lived here, (dont know WV rules) the exhaust would have to exit either out the back, or the sides. To pass inspection you would have to add tailpipes.

On a pickup its different. You only have to go behind the cab, then you can do turndowns...

Just my .02..

John

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

be careful if you are stuck in mud with the engine running last weekend we had a guy with this setup almost lose his daughter to carbon monoxide poisening she stopped breathing CPR and gettting her out of the truck saved her so always be aware of the danger.