Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Exhaust smell Problem, Yes, I've searched old posts.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBud, Apr 13, 2007.

1. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

1976 Blazer, 350 and Edlebrock carb. Headman headers dual mufflers and pipes bent 90 degrees behind rear wheels. Exhaust odor has been driving me crazy. I've read the other posts. I'm getting a gas smell too, what an engineer would call tramp gas from under the hood.
    The previous owner removed the AC compressor and lines to the evaporator. But the box and drier are still there. The heater core is working and so does the heat and blower fan. I'm on a project this weekend to stop the insanity. So, before I go too far with the "Great Stuff" Any advice would help.

First, I am going to trace the exhaust pipes and look for any pin-hole leaks, and weld them.

Second, I am going to spray "great stuff" in any crack or hole in the firewall, floor, and gap around transfer case shifter and rubber boot.

Third, I may go so far as to seal up the air intake in front of the windshield.

Is it too crazy to run an exhaust stack right up out of the engine bay? This is next. Home made, exhaust stack on one side and snorkel on the other. If I fabricate a snorkel, I'm putting the air filter on top.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not crazy, people have done it but it might not be street legal in some places and will not pass smog if it is a street legal truck you can't do it.
    Unless it's a diesel. :D

3. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice, reckognize I am in Tennessee and you are in Cali. Smog? No Problem

4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

how are you getting past smog in Chattanooga? running an antique tag? Hamilton county is 75 and newer.

5. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

We'll talk in private, not over the public waves.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

:shame:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No reason to run stacks, if you are getting exhust smell anywhere in the cab, and it's not coming in through open windows, you've got a problem that can be solved without drastic measures. Fix the exhaust leak(s) and the only time you will smell it is with the windows down.

You are likely far out of tune if small exhaust leaks are causing a big problem for you. I haven't got around to welding my joints in, and with 1/8" gaps in numerous exhaust pipe locations, to include under the drivers and passenger seats, exhaust is not an issue.

Make sure it exits out the side(s), rear, just like stock, to make sure you evacuate the exhaust in a way to eliminate as many potential variables as possible. Yes, there are many ways of exiting exhaust that work for some, the simple fact is, far back, down low, out the sides, is the proven way to eliminate as much exhaust ingress as possible.

8. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

I have the smell of unburnt gas also, A guy at work who knows alot about this kind of stuff told me that if my carb bowl is flooding the stich will flood the engine bay. I have to great stuff the firewall and floor and patch the exhaust leaks but now I have been reading about the Edlebrock carb and I think the previous owner went too rich when he built it, and the floats need to be dropped a little. thanks for the advice, it is prob a little out of tune.