Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another extended brake hose post

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dan noticed one of my brake hoses looked like crap today so I got to thinking and went to the store. Got my brake hoses today crossing the numbers. AZ part number 77760 and 77761 stock for an 88 Chevy C1500. $26.99 a piece before my discount. They're 5-6" longer than stock and will go right in the stock location.

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

did you use these for the 84 k10. i was wondering because i need extended brake hoses for my 6 inch lift on my k10.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, I did. They should work on any 10 bolt or D60 front though.

4. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

cool! and that's from auto zone right?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id personally use the napa hoses, front 38872

and rear - 4138068 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

thank you kind sir! i thinks im gonna gets me some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Any reason why you chose the longer rubber hoses instead of the extended length SS braided lines?

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

In my case the only reason was $$, all three hoses for ~$40 bucks.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Any reason why you chose the longer rubber hoses instead of the extended length SS braided lines?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that there is little to no benefit to SS hoses and they cost twice as much so the choice was easy for me.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would but I don't want to grab my ankles to pay for them....not to mention the 20% discount.

12. 88jimmy4x4

Well at 26.99ea for rubber, thats about $3ea cheaper (before your discount) than what the SS kit costs, I wouldnt call that bending over /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that there is little to no benefit to SS hoses and they cost twice as much so the choice was easy for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

SS Hoses are supposed to hold brake pressures better than rubber + rubber is supposed to swell up under high brake pressures. Other than that it is I guess looks. I went with rubber ones in the front, $13 at O'Rilleys -vs- $80 for SS hoses. A buddy of mine made my rear SS hose (free). He thaught it would be better than rubber, since I added disc brakes to the rear.

14. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why NAPA hoses? O'Rilleys are Wagner's, and 1/2 the price!

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think SS hoses would last longer and resist abbrasion better than rubber hoses. Just my opinion. I had stainless hoses on the last version of my truck. They are about 6 years old and look good yet. I think they are worth the extra cash.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

From what I've heard, many people are getting away from the braded hoses off road due to dirt contamination under the braiding causing premature failure. I run high grade rubber lines front and rear...

17. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

well without even thinkin' about the fact that when i swapped the 10bolt on the 73 i just went ahead and used the dana 44 calipers /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif so i think they won't work on my set up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif could they possibly work /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifhelp or is there any other ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well without even thinkin' about the fact that when i swapped the 10bolt on the 73 i just went ahead and used the dana 44 calipers /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif so i think they won't work on my set up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif could they possibly work /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifhelp or is there any other ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere here, when I was looking for the part #'s for the longer rubber ones, I saw where they could be easily modifyed for the D44 calipers. Looks like a little grinding on the sides of the part that bolts to the caliper is all that would be needed.

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some how it seems like cheaping out to me. We all want to do quality upgrades to our trucks, but then buy the cheapest brakes hoses out there. Seems like stopping is important and I don't see why brake lines don't fall under the "you get what you pay fore clause". I am on a super tight budget and I still went ahead with SS, $90 for all three isn't much more than the rubber ones would be for us without discounts and what not.

And of all you saving money with rubber lines, how many of you have dana 60's, and winches, and custom bumpers/sliders/etc etc that you pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for? I want a good winch but cheap brakes hoses... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Did I miss something?

20. 88jimmy4x4

Thats what I was thinking, doesnt seem like an item you want to cut corners on /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif