Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another frame question!? 79 frame under 87 body/TBI 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 15, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I figure fuel and brake lines, any motor mounts or anything else going to cause me problems? I'm guessing since both are 2nd gens that the body mounts are in the right place and the frames are likely the same? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks again, Jeremiah /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If the frame does not get sold out from under me.....
    The project truck lives!

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm guessing since both are 2nd gens that the body mounts are in the right place and the frames are likely the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this.....

Recently I learned that an '88 had a different frame than my '76. The newer frame "splayed out" and got wider at about the transfer case location, and continued to the rear bumber in the same fashion. This is not true w/ the older ones as the frame rails stay relatively parallel to each other. Not sure what all that will affect tho..../forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marv

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i believe the only differences in the frame are the brackets that the body mounts to. not 100% sure thought

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

For your situation (replacing rusted out/unsafe frame), if the price is good...

I would get it. The only difference in 2nd gen frames I know of was between 73-76 & 77-91 when the changed the floor area where the back seat goes (this also changed the seat belts, and body mounts in that location). Any other changes should be minor enough you could rob parts off of your old frame and adapt them to the good one.

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Recently I learned that an '88 had a different frame than my '76.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew there where a couple of differences in 78 and 88....
    I figured 79 and 87 would be close, if not I'LL buggy it!
    frame and stock axles $100 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Frame horns for the bumpers and brackets are different as the split is between '80 and '81.

The steel body mounts that are riveted to the frame rails are also different therefore requiring different heigth of rubber/urethane mounts.

If it were me and I wanted to keep the '87 simple, I would find an '85 or newer frame since the t-case crossmember is the double-hump and will bolt right in place of the existing holes.
    If you use an '84 or older frame, these will have/utilize the flat style crossmember, but thats not a big deal if you don't mind drilling the holes.

If you don't mind drilling holes, etc., then I would look for an '81 or newer frame since the bumpers and brackets will bolt right in place and you won't have to worry about having the "wrong year" bumpers on the "wrong year" frame. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Frame horns for the bumpers and brackets are different as the split is between '80 and '81.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Custom bumpers most likely

[ QUOTE ]
    The steel body mounts that are riveted to the frame rails are also different therefore requiring different heigth of rubber/urethane mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    any ideas on differences? I'll add it into the body lift, haha....

[ QUOTE ]
    If you use an '84 or older frame, these will have/utilize the flat style crossmember, but thats not a big deal if you don't mind drilling the holes.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Drilling is not bad, I plan on boxing in a couple sections and doing a custom shock setup rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Well it figures theres never an easy way when you got no money to play with! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The crossmember/bodymounts just above the front spring mount for the rear spring has to be removed and the floor well has to be "modified" for it to clear and sit on frame. The rear seat foot wells are different and the body mounts in that location also are. The are inside the rail on 80 and older and outside the frame on 81-up.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Custom bumpers most likely

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    any ideas on differences? I'll add it into the body lift, haha....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Drilling is not bad, I plan on boxing in a couple sections and doing a custom shock setup rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Well it figures theres never an easy way when you got no money to play with! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, whatever. Do what you wanna do and good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The frames are the same from 78-91, the bumper brackets are different, and the frame mounts for the cab are a different setup.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My '84 is on a '79 frame. The only thing I had to do was use the older style body mounts. My frame came with the '70s style bumpers so I just left them on there. Of course I'll go with some homeade ones one day.