Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Furd Shock tower Q.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Jun 11, 2004.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Where can I find a set of '99-'04 furd F250 shock towers? I'm looking for these because they use a stud to mount the shock to that is parallel to the axle opposed to the older style that every one is running that puts the top eye perpendicular to the axle. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ford dealership? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Why would you want that?

If you mount the shock with the eyes 90*s from each other you will get ZERO binding. if you mount them where the eyes line up you have binding anytime the shock have to move.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why would you want that? The axle travels in an arch. like this ). If both of the shock eyes are parellel to the axle that means all that arch will be absorbed by the shock bushings. I bet it will lead to premature bushing wear and failure. And if you want to ask why its ok on a stock Super Duty, how much do those travel compared to one of our trail rigs?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why would you want that?

If you mount the shock with the eyes 90*s from each other you will get ZERO binding. if you mount them where the eyes line up you have binding anytime the shock have to move.

[/ QUOTE ] beat me to it and took the words right out of my mouth...

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

we were only seconds apart, i refreshed and yours was there. Also on the ford pickups don't the shocks go striaght up and down on the front? with lower mount on top the axel?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not certain, my dad isn't home for me to check, I will get a shot of it when he gets home.

8. trollporter

I'm not looking to put these on the front, they will be going on the rear. I'm planning on putting my shock mounts on the spring pads running parallel to the axle so I need the top mounts to be parallel to. The reason behind this is that the rear supension cycles front to back more during flex than the front does and by putting the shock eyes parallel to the axle it will keep from wearing out shock bushings from the binding that they would go through if they were mounted perpendicular to the axle.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the rear suspension still travels in an arch samea s the front. It may travel more forward or back than your front suspension but I'd be more worried about that arching. Also with no angle on your shocks they won't be helping body roll all that much. Closer to say a 30 degree angle they will help fight body roll. I just went and looked at my dad's 02 F250, the bottom shock mount is perpendicular to the axle. The shock attaches to the spring plate and the bottom is perpendicular to the axle. If I were you I would mount one perpendicular and one parellel. This way the shock can give either direction as it needs and only one bushing is taking a load.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Okay, I should have asked that to begin with but I ASS u ME'd that they were for the front. Ford ranger mounts work the same way.
    check ebay sometimes or the dealer.

11. trollporter

Acually it should be better for body roll because shocks are most effective at there verticle position. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif