Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Gear Drive question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 25, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The Cloyes gear drive I have on the front of my SB400 did not have a cam button with it on the previous motor it was on. It also didn't have the brass washer/bushing that sits behind the cam gear.

If I just leave it as it is now, won't the cam walk back and forth when it's running?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

IT isn't a roller cam is it? I'm pretty certain non roller cams have a design in them that pushes them back into the block. A block protector bearing is always a good idea though. The bearing taht goes behind the cam gear that is.

3. mountainexplorer

It's a non-roller Comp Cam. I can take the cam gear and move the cam foreward and back some. I've had motors I've pulled apart where you can see the imprint of the cam gear rubbing on the timing cover.

4. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Yes it will walk back and forth screwing up your timing as it goes. I had this problem in my little blazer with a 305. The motor I pulled the gear drive off of didn't have a cam button so i didn't think I needed on, Boy was I wrong every time it was put under load the timing would either advance too far or retard to far and the dang thing would die. (Not good on the trails when your trying to climb any thing bigger than an ant hill)

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Cam buttons are cheap, jusp put one on anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mountainexplorer

So, you can just buy an individual cam button? Probably a stupid question. I don't know cause I never go in to try and buy new stuff.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So, you can just buy an individual cam button? Probably a stupid question. I don't know cause I never go in to try and buy new stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the store I work at stocks the bearing type ones. They're about $10.