Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another GEAR question - telling the difference in gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Oct 22, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I have looked through the last months worth of GEAR posts in the search and have not come up with what I'm wanting to find out. HOW, do you tell one gear from another? Ring size, # of teeth, #of bolts, is it stamped somehwere, chevy vs. other brands. I see a few posts that says 'let me take of the cover and see what gears are in it.' How can you tell, how can I tell if I pull the covers off my junkyard finds. D44, 14bolt, and a 12bolt. Same rules apply for all or are they different for each axle? Multipart question I guess. mainly interested in 14bolt and D44 for my new project, but I'm thinking of swapping out my 12bolt if it matches up with my current 10bolt front in my daily driver. Thanks, Jeremiah /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think you are asking how to tell what gear ration the axle has.
    The most reliable way I've found is to count the teeth on the ring gear (say, 41) and count the teeth on the pinion gear (say, 10) and divide the former by the latter.
    41 / 10 = 4.10
    Use a piece of chalk to mark the tooth you start and it makes it easier.
    -- Mike

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you turn the ring gear you will find stampings on it's edge. These numbers include the ratio. Some put 41/10 and then 4.10:1 and some just put the numbers 41/10.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Sounds pretty easy so far, time to head to the garage and get dirty! J

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Part one is axle ID...after a while you can ID almost any domestic diff from 30 feet/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It just takes a while to get familiar with them all.

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

As was already posted the ratio is stamped on the edge of the ring gear. You can count the teeth if you want though... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene