Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another gear question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, 31's and 3:08's is what I'm used to. I know 3:73's and 36's will be a pouch, but will it really feel that much weenier then my current set up ??? And befor you start flameing me, I've all ready got a deal going with some locals and am getting 4:56 gears. Just wanted to know if it'd feel different. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Look at a gear/RPM chart and see what RPM it says you have with the 3.08's and 31's. Then look at what RPM it says you'll have with the 36's and 3:73's and see how close the two RPM values are. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

See thats my thing I'm thinking now. I know for the way I want to go 35s and 4.56s would be best but right now I have 32s and 2.73s! So going to 4.10s with 35s would be an insane improvement for me, 840RPMs by my gear chart. So now I'm trying to decide which way to go.

4. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Maybe you've done this already, but mess around with some of the calculators at www.4lo.com

I find myself doing this a lot - usually in the "find your RPM" calculator. Entering in your current setup and then your planned setup will basically tell you how crappily or happily your truck will run. For instance, at 45mph, if the planned setup is going to make you run 1400rpm instead of your current 1900rpm or so...then yeah...it's going to be a dog. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

All those calulators don't help me one bit. I'm talking real world seat of the pants driving, not some charts. I'm talking about "would it feel any different ??" Will 36's with 3:73's feel any different then 31's and 3:08's ???

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.....YES

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The way I see it, 31's and 3:08's can't feel that different from 3:73's and 36's. But anyways, I'll find out in a few months. I'll have to run that for a few months till I do the 4:56's. Won't matter really, the K5 mostly just sits. Kinda hard to argue with a DD that gets better then 30mpg. In the last year, I've put less then 1,000 miles on the K5, and that includes the 500 miles to get it home.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You have to consider that 36s weigh a hell of alot more than 31s, and the bulk of the weight is much farther from the center of the wheel. This means that even if the final drive ratio is the same for the 31s/3.08s and 36/3.73s, the 36s are going to feel much more sluggish. </font>

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, that makes sence. Next question. I like the wide tire look. Denman recomends a 15x10 rim for the 36" Ground Hawg 2's I bought, But I'm thinking of going with a 15x12 rims for that wider effect. I understand I'll loose alittle hight, but is there anything else to consitter befor buying the rims ???

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You'll blow beads easier, and the 15x12s will put alot more stress on the ball joints on the 44. The tires are also going to stick out that much farther, but I guess that's what you're going for. Personally I don't understand the whole wide tire thing, al it does is make mud fling onto the windsheild so you can't see and gets the side of the truck all dirty after the lightest rain. It also makes the tires rub that much worse because of the extra swing caused by the offset. Personally I try to stuff as much tire under the fender as possible, but I know that I'm probably in the minority on that. It;s all about function before form, my friend. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif </font>

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I guess it all go's back too my hot rodder days. Little skinny tires equealed uncool as where big wide tires equeled the coolest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I ran 50's on the rear and 60's on the front of my 2wd 66 Int. pick up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> It;s all about function before form, my friend. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG! It's all about the bling....."Don't try to hide your bling, Let your inner bling run free"

Someone famous said that! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Signed,

-Mr. 16" Wide Swamper Man

16. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The way I see it, 31's and 3:08's can't feel that different from 3:73's and 36's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in gear change and tire change you will have a 4% lower gear ratio. This will probably be eaten up by the larger mass of the 36 inch tires so it will probably wont be that noticably different from what you have now.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

5.13's

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Signed,

-Mr. 16" Wide Swamper Man

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I have no problems whatsoever with wide tires, it's just that I like to keep them stuffed under the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Signed, Mr. 15.5" wide Swamper Dude. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

inner bling....buwahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    5.13's

[/ QUOTE ] Not all of us are strickly rock crawlers. I need to be able to go 75mph out on the big road also. I can't trailer the K5 to the trails, I need to drive it there, do some moderit wheeling, and then drive it home. So 5:13's arn't for me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif