Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another hard drive question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Feb 13, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I have a old Seaguate Barracuda ATA II 15.3 Gbytes harddrive. I already have a 80g harddrive in my computer. I know theres a extra place to plug a second one in. I was thinking about putting it in so i can use it to store my music. For it be worth doing? What do I have to do, just plug it in and turn the computer on? Thanks in advanced

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

look at the drive, it should have a jumper and a bunch of pins on the connector end(where the power and IDE connector go in). Hopefully the drive has a chart showing how to set these pins. At the moment it is likely set to "Master". You want the jumper setup to be set to "Slave". Change that and plug it into the IDE cable your present HDD or CD drive is on.

I did this a 13.7GB drive for a while until I upgrade to another 40GB and moved it all to my other 40GB.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Not sure how to do it but all my computers have two hard drives.
    More storage the better.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Google should help you find the original specs from Seagate.

Most disk drive manufacturers are really good about having old jumper diagrams published on the Net now....saves lots of tech support dollars!!

Beyond that....when you get your box open, check the IDE cable that's attached to your existing HDD....there will probably be at least one extra ATA connector that's not being used (unless it's already going to your CD-ROM or DVD)

If you get past that.....check to see if there is a "twist" in part of the ribbon cable between the 1st and 2nd connectors of the ATA cable. If it's not a "straight through" cable, then it is using what is called "Cable Select" to identify the Master and Slave drives....and you can set the jumpers accordingly.

As a rule, even if you totally botch the jumpers the worst that happens is that you get a drive conflict and the system won't boot properly. Shut it down...re-jumper and try again.

When you see the POST (power on self test) screen....usually it will tell you what devices it's detected on the ATA bus.....if you see BOTH drives in that list, you know you're on the right track. (pun intended)

FWIW - I've worked at most of the HDD manufacturers during my professional career.....and it looks like Seagate is about to become my new "boss" if the acquisition of Maxtor is approved by the FTC. :rolleyes:

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

sweet thanks everyone