Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Hartop Painting Question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Jun 13, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I'm going to paint the spare hardtop I have, just wondering what the proper way to do it is?? i.e. primer?roll-on?spray on?? What are some of the ways you people have gone about doing this??? Also Thinking of doing something with the inside like bed linning it or spraying that rubberized coating to cut down on noise and help in the winter or??? Any ideas??
    Thanks alot!!
    Jordan

Yep!! It's definatly a jEEP thing...So, what your excuse???

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

When I paint fiberglass, I like to use acrylic enamel. I'd sand it smooth, and prime it with a high solid primer like Napa/Martin Senour "5005-Prime" waterborne primer/surfacer. I've got a buddy that RhinoLined the interior of his Bronco top and swears by it - it is alot quieter than my Blazer at highway speeds, and seems to insulate it pretty well.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if your just going for a color change the the key is to get it clean. the texture tends to hold midew and crud and any of that left on it will make the paint flex off. Best thing to do is presure wash it with a mildew killer (most are just a bleach solution) and then hit the paint store and get some automotive paint thinner or a paint prep that will remove any greese and oil so the paint will stick.
    If you going for a real clean resto or custom look there are a couple options. I have seen one Line-X ed and it looked great. Was on a Heep hard top fot same principle. The Line-X seems to be the most consistant liner product out there and will have a little rougher texture than the top had from the factory.
    Other option is sand it. The texture is applied after the top is made. The top is a Gel coat like a boat. I have seen a couple sanded smooth and painted to match the truck and they looked really good. Lots of work though and thats why GM put the texture on them. Kept down cost.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper