Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another headlight upgrade kit, anyone try this?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, Dec 16, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.dieselservices.com/html/...sel-special/headlight_brightening_kit_p12.cfm

I constantly find myself wishing my low beams were a bit brighter than they are on my 97. That and I want to convert to the 4 lamp high beam setup. This kit seems like an interesting concept. Anyone tried it? I am sure you can buy the "brighter" replacement bulbs cheaper than the $50 they are charging, so I'm thinking about just getting the harness kit and buy some bulbs through work. Might be worth a try. If nothing else I end up with the 4 high beam lights.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

It just looks like a relay upgrade. Ryoken has a schematic to do it for cheap.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its a larger gauge wiring harness as far as I understand it. Something I could really do myself, but with the connectors and all it looks like a nice setup.

The relay thing for doing the 4 headlamp conversion is super easy, I don't need a schematic to tell me how to do it, I can picture it in my head. But the increased gauge wiring to the headlamps is what intrigues me. I guess I should flip on my low beams on monday and really see if there is a voltage drop along that circuit. In some ways it makes sense, yet in others it doesn't. THe concept of this kit in conjunction with brighter bulbs makes perfect sense. Brighter bulb is more of a draw on the wiring.

Hell on Mitsubishi Eclipses we constantly replace pigtails on the headlight wiring. They burn up because there is too much of a draw on the little wires they have stock. We replace them with a pigtail that has a larger gauge wire. So if you see or know someone that has a 2000-2005 Eclipse with a dim headlight or one out, send them to the dealership.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

do you have the Cheyenne front end? or the composite Silverado front?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

composite. My truck is strange. It is entirely base model, except for the tape player and cruise control, yet it has the Silverado grille and is a Cheyenne badging.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, thats the purpose in the relay upgrade, to run bigger, shorter wire to the bulbs... Heck I'm doing it next week and plan on running 10 gauge. Plus the sections should only be a couple feet on the one side, and say 6'ish to the other...

Or am I missing something here? :confused:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:confused: that is wierd. i had a Silverado that only had AC. AM/FM, solid column, no tilt, no cruise. had the Silverado grille and door panels and Silverado badges, but a rubber floor. never seen another one like it. damn i miss that truck. over 220K, and never so much as had the valve covers pulled. very little rust too.

jeremy1.jpg

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the cheyenne badges with the silverado grille is what gets me the most.

mine has been apart and may be apart more so soon. It needed intake gaskets(big surprise on a Vortec), and has the famous cold knock. Thing is when I got it, it didn't have the cold knock. And it seems to be getting worse and worse and take longer to go away.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

anyone know the wattage spec of the factory headlight bulbs? Curious if this is going to be worth my time to persue really. If I do it I think I'll just do the work myself.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status