Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another heater question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Nov 6, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, the weather's starting to get a bit colder, and the heater is not working on the K5. I ran it for 15 min/10 miles just now and it wouldn't heat up. It's approx 32 degrees out right now. Heats up fine at temps over 50. I have a 180 degree thermostat. Sender sucks for the gauge so i really dont know how hot it's actually getting. I have taurus elec fans on a thermostat that i cranked way up to see if they were holding me up. I felt the lines after this little drive this evening, and while they were above ambient temp, they were nowhere near warm. This is both lines, the one to the mainfold and the one to the radiator. The manifold one was SLIGHTLY warmer. Anyone have any ideas? Change out the thermo? New heater core?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

sounds to me that if BOTH your heater lines are only warm, you are needing a new thermo

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I went to AutoZone and got some Thermostat in a bubble pack off the shelf

Robertshaw Generation2 thermostat
    #GT755-195 195* thermostat specially designed for EFI's

Big difference, just bought #2 for the plow truck... I dont think it has a thermostat or it has a 210 thermostat or something, it was below freezing and I had the windows down hanging out the window plowing last year and I was still sweating /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It gets HOT! I dont think the gauge works either because its only reads about 135 most of the time... I think that reads the inside temperature /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Silly question, but have you checked your coolant level?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ahhhh the blown fuse....I'll check tonite. Every time i think about it, the truck's already hot!

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks Jeramiah,

it's probably something just this simple...I'll get the one you recommended. How expensive is it?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I definitely say change to a 195* thermostat. If your heat is working and you're not sweating, your thermostat is either too low of a temperature or stuck open.

If you want to spend money, Autozone sells a $12 thermostat that will supposedly always stick open rather than closed should there be a problem. It also has a little check ball in it to allow air to escape to avoid an air locked thermostat.

I have always ran 195* thermos just because I like heat, and boy do I get it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you guys think you can sweat in a K5, try that same heat setup in a tiny truck cab.

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Jeramiah,

it's probably something just this simple...I'll get the one you recommended. How expensive is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the first one was 6.99 (a year ago) and the second one was 7.99 (about two months ago).

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well i got the thermo tonite finally. I'll install tonite and let yall know how it works tommorrow. Thanks for the part number jeramiah!

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hell yeah!!! That thermostat is awesome! I just found out that my gauge does in fact work, and that i was just driving around at about 150 degrees all the time. I'm about to pick my dad up at the airport with it, can't wait to see how it does on the road!!! THANKS MAN, I owe you a beer sometime!

11. jjlaughner

Hey I'm just glad I was finally able to help someone out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I've gotten so much good info from here theres no way I could afford the beer for everyone /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif