Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another Horn wiring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdwest1369, Jun 17, 2003.

1. rdwest1369

rdwest1369 Registered Member

I have to install new horns in order to pass the state safety inspection I"ve mounted the new ones no problem, I tapped into a hot lead & connected it to the horn ran the connection back to the switch.. no horn /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif the next day my battery was completely dead a I disconnected the horn where I tapped into the hot lead next day no problems so I guess that took care of the battery drain but I still need to figure out how to wire this up to the switch any suggestions will be appreciated my wiring diagrams are worthless I also tried using the factory wires... no luck & replaced the horn relay 78 Jimmy
    thanks
    Rich W

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The horn button should complete the ground for the relay. The relay should get power all the time, and then the horn button grounds it making the relay click.
    The other hot wire (when the horn button completes the circuit energizing the relay) goes from the relay to the horn. Just to make sure the horn worked, i jumpered a 12v source to make sure it would honk... (turned out my horn itself was bad)

If you're causing a parasitic drain (key off battery drain) then you've probably hooked a power to ground, and it'll drain the battery overnight. I've had it where the spring in the horn button wasn't strong enough, and the horn relay was always on, (horn button always depressed) but since the horn was bad i didn't even know until my battery was dead a few mornings in a row.

3. rdwest1369

rdwest1369 Registered Member

thanks I appreciate it