Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another idea for interior of Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Oct 15, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

73k5blazer's modifications from an old post got me thinking. I know he used alumibrite and made his own side panels for the back. But has anyone done this with lil hinges and doors to use that space for cargo, Nothing heavy jus maybe some jumper cables and gloves, etc. Also has anyone done anything like this with the stock particle board type cardboard that we have?

Jus wondering. I know alot of ppl that gut the inside, jus yank that, but itll be along while before I gut mine (dunno why but its something I jus cant do. lol).

Anyways, jus thinking outloud here. :D

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i too thought about this and i still wanna do it. you could put yer staps,chains, d-rings. what ever in them.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I might cruise by LOWES and see what materials i would need. I really wanna do this (plus gives me something to do and keeps me busy. lol). I figure all I need is a hinge or two. and some way to lock or secure the door part. Cutting it isnt a problem, jus use some kinda saw. Not sure how the vinyl cover would hold up. I suppose scoring with a razor blade first would help it not get bound up in the saw.........

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's my plan for this winter!

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

You goin to use the factory side panels?

What sections are you goin to be cutting into?

Im thinking of around the wheel well area and back by the rear speakers.

6. colbystephens

actually, i don't have any side panels, but i'll be building some. what i want to do is include some of the following ideas from greg72's rig, and build some tool boxes into these side panels, which will be flush with the bed rails like stock. i'm also going to include a skinny long locking compartment which goes from the back to the cab for holding longer items like the rails i will be using to support my other winter project (custom soft top!).

greg72's rig:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. colbystephens

i'm only going to do one sub, the other will just have storage space. :)

8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

wow..that is really slick. Be cool to do something like that all the way to the back with lil compartments. Im sure someone could make some money if they could keep cost down on a project like that.

9. colbystephens

i'm reluctant to lose bed space, thus i want it flush w/ the walls.

10. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

Anyone have pics of this sort of thing?

11. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Not sure anyone has actually done it.

I know some have made panels and mounted stuff to it, but to actually have access doors.

12. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

i was actually thinking about doing this exact thing in mine... i am putting the interiour back into mine and was thinking about making custom panels for the back with little doors in them. but i decided that it would not be worth the time for that little bit of space.

13. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Well, if ya seen how much crap I carry.......lol. Im goin to maul it over some and see what I can come up with. Part of the problem is I have a 5 gal. water can mounted infront of the drivers side speaker and the gas nozzle thingy is in the way on the pass. side speaker location. So, ive got some limits. If I do it high on the wheel well, anything could slide down low and be a bitch to get to. so I may do it right beside the gas can using part of the wheel well.......( im jus rambling now arent I? LoL)

14. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I plan on doing this and have been thinking about it for a while. I plan on using 1/16th aluminum sheet and making it wider in the rear so I can fit more stuff in it. Tuffy actually makes these now. Dont think they would fit in a K5 though.

15. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

I would like to see more pics of that

16. colbystephens

i'm not going to use much metal - i think i'll use a wood frame and something similar to masonite for the face. then i'm going to cover it in speaker box carpet so that it's not echoey in there. i'm going to brace all the doors so that they're firm - might use metal for that. anyway, it's my winter project, so i'll start in sometime after i finish the soft top, as the soft top will determine the way i make the storage space in the rig. ;)

17. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to replace mine once. Do not use any material similar to MDF or masonite if you have any leaks. I used masonite (peg board without the holes) and discovered I had a slow but constant leak on the sides near the cab. Ruined all the work I had put into them. I did however add some dividers at the top each side of the wheelwells to stop things from sliding down them. (I put access doors on each side.) For the back I put a small door for loose items like jumper cables and tow straps behind the spare and a larger one on the other side. I used a continuous hinge for each one and a little hasp type closure. Worked well enough for my needs. No pictures though, sorry.:rolleyes:

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some kind of hasp , or folding latch that takes a lock . Instead of the lock though , use a hitch pin , unless its an open top truck , then use a lock :)

19. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was going to do that with mine, but they are full with 2 Amps, 1 10" sub, 1 500w inverter/charger, 2 6" speakers., 120v AC plug, AC swtich to engine block heater, all associated wiring. There's probably a little room in the front area of the right side though.
    It is a good idea though.

20. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I had the same idea and figured the aluminum choice is ok if covered with paint or coating to reduce the chance of getting burned by sun heated aluminum. I plan on taking off the top so heat becomes an issue.

Quick