Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another interesting find in the woods...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 7, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

89-91 3/4 ton burb!

I saw it weeks ago and left it alone cause I figured it was someone relaxing (looked too good to be abandoned). Then I saw it again in the same position when we went family wheeling on sunday. I figured today with the snow nobody would want to be bothered chasing me around the woods, so I went back to check it out.
    I had tools in my truck...If I didn't have half a conscience I'd have grabbed the tbi and ecm, I have two 90's 350's in need...

I got the vin and will look it up in a little while. My bet is that it was stolen, beaten until the motor blew, and left for dead. There was a hip hop CD and other paraphenalia in it that indicated the local dominant ethnicity, but the radio/cassette player was stock and still there, so I don't figure it belonged to someone that would have had that stuff in the truck...

DSCN0523-resized.JPG

DSCN0524-resized.JPG

DSCN0526-resized.JPG

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The inspection sticker was from a 91 chrysler, so I doubt the tags are legit, too.

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

So if you report it to the police, what happens?

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think they'd go take it. I want to see if it's been reported stolen first. If it hasn't, I'll see if I can reach the owner and if he abandoned it, maybe buy it off him for $50 and tow it to a junk yard, where I'll pull the stuff I want off it.
    :wink1: I have a small plan in the works...

If I can't locate the owner, I'll let the 5-0 know and ask if I can have it if it stays unclaimed for xx days. I'm sure someone already told them.

There are about 4 burned out cars in those woods, I'm sure the police know about them. This one looks like you could fix it up. If the motor's not toast, I'd wonder if I could stick a battery and radiator in it and dirve it out.

5. AJMBLAZER

Sounds like a plan.

Years ago a friend of mine got some Explorer axles for his Bronco II from a "trail find" up in the Upper Peninsula by his cabin. It was there in the fall during deer season and when he came back in the spring it was still there. He figured it was abandoned and towed it to his cabin and took what he wanted and then scraped the rest.
    He figured it was out there at least 6 months so if someone stole or dumped it the settlement was done already. At that point he was just cleaning up his land.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's state land, and by the letter of the law, I shouldn't even be in there. I just get away with it (I think) cause I don't steal or destroy anything...and probably cause the capable vehicles are busy doing more important law enforcement.
    If I were towing this truck out, I'd for sure get questioned, and I'd have to explain I bought it from the owner after he abandoned it there, and I'm sure I'd need to show title and bill of sale.

But...this thing reeks of theft. I feel bad for the original owner, it looks like it was in nice shape. Not worth the fate it's met.

7. AJMBLAZER

Ah, gotcha.

Honestly in the UP the thing could have been on public land and he might have been the only one to know about it.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

To tell you the truth, I was alittle nervous about finding a body in it as I walked down to it... The truck is not at all mint and definately vandalized, but doesn't look like the others around there. All the tires still have air, and almost all glass is intact. It looked like it someone could have been wheeling like me and died, then others came along and vandalized it.

These are other abandoned cars around there. The non-burned up one is in an area only accessible orignally by foot. Just recently it looks like some heavy equipment cleared a path to it, but in prior pics I have of it, it's a mystery how it got in there. My guess is a team of punks carried it sideways through the woods...

DSCN0323-resized.JPG

DSCN0326-resized.JPG

DSCN0511-resized.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is the big fence for?

10. AJMBLAZER

Hahaha, dig the boat.

"Yes, I'd like to report my boat as stolen. It's a 20' power boat with twin Marine 454's..."

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's actually two pens, the one to the side is larger, the one in front of the cars nose is the back of a smaller one. The larger one used to protect an electrical substation, the smaller one now houses what looks like about a 15 year old very unused smaller substation, just a couple transformers that were probably locked in and forgotten. The funny thing about them is that they sit on a concrete slab with a curb around it, which makes them sitting in a several inch deep pool of standing water after rain or snow melt.
    That's right next to the abandonded power station for the mostly-abandoned psych hospital. My guess is that the larger pen had the power station's substation, and when it was abandoned, the utility co put the smaller substation in to continue supporting the remaining in-use hospital.

12. cbbr

You are drawn to that hospital for some reason.:thinking: :haha:

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Something about it... Like a lost memory I'm trying to find or something...

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Just a guess, would that curb have been meant to contain oil if the seal on one of those transformers failed?

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Definate possibility. I'm not entirely sure they're transformers, either. It would certainly hold a leak well, so you're probably right. Good call, mystery solved...

There are small brick buildings around the campus, abandoned steam and electrical stations I assume, one of which has a couple transformers left in it. I would guess these things are filled with a good amount of copper windings. That darn "not mine and no permission" thing kept me from throwing one in the back of the truck this morning for salvage value...

Love my digital cam... I have pics of everything...Except the front of this unit...

The other pic is the small outbuilding's transformers.

DSCN0327-resized.JPG

DSCN0520-resized.JPG

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well this sure turned into an interesting and lonnnnnnng night...

Long story short, I'm getting the TBI off the 'burbs motor (which was recently rebuilt), and the prior owner is making $400 on it twice...

And the police would just take it and junk it... And it turns out it's not state land, it's privately owned and the state doesn't care (it's just full of toxic waste)... The officers still don't want me wheeling in there...

17. cbbr

You got him?

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah... He sold it 6 months ago with a blown tranny for $400, and the buyer never changed the title over. He's going to tow it out tomorrow, pull off the tbi for me, then bring it to the junkyard for another $400...

19. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

WOW, that was areally good short read! Congrats!

Wy not just get the whole thing and part it here!?

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd love to, but my wife would leave me if I showed up with that thing on a tow-bar. And, the other guy wants to make the $400 on it.

He put a brand new rear in it, just had the motor rebuilt last year, and put 4 new tires on it around the same time. He got frustrated with the bad tranny and took it to a junkyard, where an individual bought it from him instead of it being junked.

I'd love to pull the motor out, but I already have two in the yard that I don't have room for...