Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another LIFT KIT question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The85k5, Mar 6, 2001.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 k5 with stock suspension, i've been looking around for the past few months for kits and i've heard great things about superlift, rough country and pro comp, the thing is i can get a good deal on pro comp through my work, but is the lift a good quality and am i getting a good deal? i'm buying a 4" suspension i've decided and for the pro comp its gonna run me about 525 after tax for 6 3000 series shocks, 4" blocks, U-bolts, Springs, and the steering arm. now is this a good deal or should i keep looking? i want a quality lift (not too stiff) for a decent price.
    please help me out
    thanx
    Robb

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Well if you strictly want a show rig then blocks will do. If you plan on actually getting offroad and wheeling your rig then you'd want to stay away from lift blocks. ORD sells a shackle flip kit to give you 4" of lift from the stock rear springs, then you could do the tuff country EZ rides up front. I run that setup and love it. I had a Rancho kit before and it sucked big time. Feel free to message me for more detailed info.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I have a set of ORD brackets that I'd be willing to sell you. When I needed rear springs I decided to change the mounting locations etc. The kit works really well and is very sturdy.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how expensive the shocks are, but you can get a 4" lift with blocks for $295 from Rough Country.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I picked up my 4" lift from Rough Country for 250.00 and it came with shocks. Then added the ORD Flip. Paying over 500 for a lift without rear springs is a little to pricey for me.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Rough Country is running a 4 inch Lift special for GM trucks.. it comes w/ front/rear springs, 4 shocks, steering arm and all the hardware.. I paid 550.00 total .. that included shipping.
    The special is on the main page of Rough Country
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

7. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> If your are gonna run 6 shocks, the Rough Country shocks are $32.95-34.95, depending on which ones you buy.

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'd run the rough country before the PRO comps. The pro-comps are supposed the be the stiffest out there. I run the skyjacker softrides. I like the bouncy air ride though. It sucks for drinking and driving, LOL!!! Not beer man. Just any liquid out of an open container. You better get a bib. LOL!

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've been running 4" Pro Comp front springs, 4 Pro Comp shocks, and a U-can't-afford-it shackle flip for 5 years or so, its sagged to about 3" and flexes really well, I pulled a 1440 on a 20 degree ramp in Moab last year. My experiece has been that the springs are pretty soft (and can be a tad bouncy). I would recomend them, but I haven't tried the others. In general, there is a big difference flex wise between a 4" and 6" spring.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I did the 4 inch Rough Contry and have only one complaint... The crumby brake line brackets... I bought the Stainless Steel lines and popped them on...
    I am doing a 4 inch shackle flip next... I dont want the blocks ... I'm afraid going over the speed bumps at 40 might crack one...

Any one know how the shackle flip will effect the driveline angles? I know the blocks are shimmed to help correct this problem...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

A shackle flip will generally require you to shim the pinion DOWN. While I'm not a block fan by any means, if they are installed properly they shouldn't be a huge safety issue. My Dodge has 4-3/4" blocks from the factory, I've seen up to 6". However, OE blocks are usually cast iron and often have extra provisions for holding them in place.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I did the Shackle flip on my 74 K5 with a 14 bolt and I didnt have to shim anything down. I get no vibration at all and much much flex.

13. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have a Pro Comp 2.5 inch lift, and it's too stiff... I would go with a Superlift 4 inch spring lift in the front, and a shackle flip in the rear...

<font color=blue> I'm down with the clown, till I'm dead in the ground.</font color=blue>