Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another lift question ..3" vs. 4"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neil, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Another lift question ..3\" vs. 4\"

how many other changes need to be made as far as: brake lines, steering shaft, driveshaft angle, bumpers, or anything else for 3" or 4" lift on body or suspension. I am looking into some kits and want to get the facts before I undertake a lifting job and spend the $$. because I want to do it at home myself. What tools,jacks,stands do I need to have. Also is it better to do front then back, or side to side when working on suspension.1 more question. sorry about long post. How does maybe 2" of body AND 2" of suspension work and maybe not change so much other stuff like brakes, bumpers,etc. Thanks folks. You guys haven't steered me wrong so far and I appreciate all advice immensely.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

Re: Another lift question ..3\" vs. 4\"

well w/ body u have to adjust ur bumpers, gas lines and other stuff
    w/ suspension i extended my brake lines, and got longer shocks
    i did mine from rear then the front.
    i used 2 jack stands and a floor jack, and a hydro jack, but i only uses that on the front to help me align somethign to get a bolt in.
    2in and 2 body jsut sounds like more work. u have to do both lifts. and all the stuff that goes along with it.
    buy a rough country 4in lift. i go tone and love it. it came with EVERYTHING xcept the tools and i mean the shocks the whole deal for 296
    i went stright through their webpage.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.roughcountry.com>http://www.roughcountry.com</a>
    i would stay away from body. i like only the 1in ord body lift

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would go with a bds lift of tuff country. Rough country is too stiff. As for when I did my 2" I did back to front. When I did my 4" lift I did it front to back. More work in the front, so when you tired its easier to do the rear. I had to put extended brake lines, steering are, and longer shocks.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

does the BDS or Rough Country kit come with brake line extension parts? Also do all the brake lines, shocks extensions,etc. have to be done with 3" also, or not?

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Neil, I have both a 3" body lift and a 4" Rancho suspension lift. You can do both these yourself and you would also have the satisfaction of telling people you built your rig yourself rather than pay someone to do it, let alone the money you will save. In terms of which is more work, they both are actually easy but the work all comes in fighting with rusty bolts and steering arm removal. In other words, the only "hard" part is the elbow grease you apply. I was going to pay someone to do the body lift for me but with a little help and encouragement from some of the guys here, I did the body lift with a buddy of mine.

Moving the bumpers on a body lift can be a hassle if you don't weld. The plus is that it is cheap. The suspension lift can be cheap, too but still more expensive than a body lift.

I would recommend going with a 4" lift. If you don't mind the blocks, get them and you will save even more money. A 4" lift looks great on a K5. Most kits that I know of come with brake line extension brakets, but I would recommend going with stainless steal lines--an excellent upgrade. You don't have to extend your driveshafts with a 4" lift, either.

The only thing you would most likely have to do is lower the T-case to help eliminate vibration when you do the 4" lift.

Good luck.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Go for the 4" lift. I have 33's with a 3" TC and they rub

90K5

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

We did the 4" lift, with someone that had done them before, we finished in about 5.5 hours. I had the block installed but I'm going to the shackle flip. I'm running 35x12.5s with no problems. I did have to fashion some pcs to extend the brake ines, I didn't install longer lines tho. I'm plannin on addin a 2" body lift soon too.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Go with the Suspension lift.. less things to really mess with.. linkage's, fan shroud and t-case linkages.(associated with body lift) not to mention the big gap in the body and frame..
    Suspension lift... you can order a 4 inch.. not have to change anything.. although I recommend a raised steering arm.. and extended brake lines..
    Plus it'll improve the ride quality... (suspension lift).

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

9. Confederate9

rough country does,
    w/ 3in i would recommend it anyway

10. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

How do your Rough Countrys ride?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

11. DesertDueler

My buddies rough countrys rides way too stiff. He is getting rid of it and buying a tuff country lift like mine. The rough country susension doesnt ariculate. It lifts tires before the suspension flexed.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

12. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I'll take your word, and besides, I'd prefer supporting Mr. Watson anyway.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

13. Confederate9

i love my rough country.
    it rides a tade bit rough i guess. i like it tho
    if it road anysofter it would be to bouncy like on the trail.
    it rides like a truck is supposed to!!! hehe
    i run all rough country under my ride.
    i also got rough country dual steering stablizers

14. DesertDueler

Mine doesnt bounce around on the tail. Most of the time I go out with jeeps or my buddy that has the rough country lift. On the way back down the tril they all want to ride with me because it is alot more comfortable to be in. I use to have a rough country 2" lift. I hated it. Rode to stiff. Thats why I went with tuff country. They only thing I would trade it for would be coil over front and rear ($$$$$$)

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have been quite pleased with my 4" lift from Rough Country. I can't say how stiff it is because I haven't riden in a vehicle with any other kind of lift. And, I don't rock crawl, so flex isn't that big of a deal to me. I would rather be a little stiff than too soft and impact the chassis. Of course, I also have front and rear lockers so lifting a tire doesn't hurt me too much.

Check out my website for some pics of the install (My Tribute

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Cool post , could you give us an exsample of too soft and impact the chassis ?
    Thanks alot

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Sure thing, my friend. More than happy to oblige. If the suspension is too soft, I would tend to be bottoming out a lot. I don't want to constantly have my chassis jarred by the spring impacting the bumper stop. Stiffer springs that do not tend to bottom out will still have give to them when they are severly loaded or flexed. If they are too soft, they bottom out and you loose the dampening ability of the spring. To the chassis, a bottomed out spring is like no spring at all.

In addition, if my springs are too soft and bottom out, that means the chassis is much closer to obstacles than if the spring were still arched. Closer can often mean impact when on the trail. If I go over an obstacle (tree, rock whatever) and my soft springs bottom out or provide to much flex on the other side, I have a chance of the chassis dropping lower than I want and hitting or dragging parts over the obstacle, like my t-case. If my springs are stiffer and I don't drop as much under load or with impact, my underside chassis will remain further away from any and all obstacles.

It really just depends how you want your rig to ride and handle on and off-road. If I was looking for a nice soft ride on soft springs, I would have a 2WD. My truck with its RC lifted springs ddoesn't necessarily ride a whole lot different than my trans am. It just sits higher off the ground! LOL

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

18. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

thanks for all of the input. this has helped me in my research of lifting. tx85gmcguy, those are some great project pics of before/afters.