Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANOTHER locked vs. open axle question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jun 17, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I know this has been covered so many times most of you won't even bother reading it. Anyways, here's my problem, I need to change the carrier in my front Dana 60 when I install my 5.13 gears and money is tight at the moment. I'm building my rig to be beaten on some fairly tight trails, rocks, snow in the winter and a lot of mud (mostly mud /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif) I have a TBI 350 engine, SM465 tranny with a 205 and 39.5 inch Boggers. I have a few options for my front end. I could use a ring gear spacer until I can afford a locker, or install a spool and unlock a hub when I need to turn. I also need to lock my rear axle but I've been afraid to weld it because I see moderate street use and those Boggers are WIDE. I don't want a detroit because the last one I had (with an auto and 36 inch tires) didn't seem to unlock around turns (lead foot) and had some torque steer on the highway. What would you guys do?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I forgot to add some options to the poll. Who would suggest a welded rear and a detroit up front or welded front and rear?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would go open front and welded rear, its cheap. plus when you get enough money for the detroit, it will replace them.

BTW, now i have a craving for some cheetos /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Your expirience with the detroit is wierd... I barely know mine is there... I can make it chirp around a corner if i want to but thats under my control most of the time... Id give the detroit in the rear another shot,

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I'm building my rig to be beaten on some fairly tight trails...

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the front open for now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

detroit/detroit.

j

6. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    detroit/detroit.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what's going up front eventually. I was thinking about one of the electric lockers that acts as a limited slip when it's not activated. I just can't figure out if I want to leave the front open or spooled until I can afford that.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Being locked up front now I would have welded it years ago rather than go with it open.

I say weld the front for the time being, don't spend any money on a spool.

If you want to spend money buy a lockright.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    detroit/detroit.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no other option

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    detroit/detroit.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no other option

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck sure seems to think that there is. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

arent you the same lad that was claiming '10 bolts are 44" tire resistant, my friend runs them and never breaks' not to long ago

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Locker good , Locker good . Stuck is bad /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    arent you the same lad that was claiming '10 bolts are 44" tire resistant, my friend runs them and never breaks' not to long ago

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't you have a power-loc in your '60?

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I personally think it's a waste to swap in 1-ton axles, regear them, and then leave them open.......unless your plans are just mall-cruising /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

The ultimate budget plan, in my opinion, is a welded rear and Lock-right front. I had my rear axle welded, for free, thinking "if I don't like it then just slap in a Detroit"......3 years later it's still welded in the back.

For the front, I just couldn't bring myself to weld it after seeing a couple of guys in our club try it. Seeing them have to get in and out of the vehicle constantly to unlock and lock hubs didn't seem like much fun. Also with a welded front shifting the t-case into 2wd doesn't help much either. With my Lock-right front there was very little difference in turning on the trail while in 4wd as compared to my old limited slip front, and shifting into 2wd for 3-point turns completely defeats the locking mechanism also.

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Lock_right front, weld rear, because your on a buget now.

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I run detroit rear and welded front, I wouldn't change it for anythign else.

19. TruckNutzDude

What about welding the rear and running a detroit up front? Will I be able to turn without unlocking the hubs? And how will the street manners be with the rear welded? Feel free to make more suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif TIA -Rob-

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Street manners are going to suck with boggers anyway so that should be the least of your worries.

As to detroit or lock right up front with a welded rear, I would certainly say that's a great combo (and what i would be running today had I not got a great deal on this rear axle). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yes you will be able to turn just fine. I don't really understand why everyone whines about the steering effort that a locker adds.....it's very minimal.