Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another locker or bigger tires....what would work the best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Apr 26, 2003.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

So I'm in the market to replace my tires. I'd also like to get a lock right for the front, but naturally money is low. I have a few question I'd like to get some opinions on.
    I'm split between getting some relativly inexpensive 35" mud terrains (dunlop mud rovers or something from Les Schwab) and using the savings to throw a locker in the front. Or else springing for those nice new swamper radials in the 36 14.50R16 variety or 37" SSR's or MTR's (I'd get some new 15" wheels with the MTR's for about the same price as a set of 37" SSR's for 16's).
    There's pros and cons of each setup (looks, driveablity, etc.) but I'm going go with what would work best for actual wheeling. I do a bit of trails with a lot of sand wheeling and the occasional mud foray (when its a drying lake, its mud you mid east and southern guys would respect). So what do you guys think would work better, decent 35" muds fully locked or bigger meats with one locker? I'm ready to trim whatever I need to fit bigger tires, if need be.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Go with the locker. Bigger tires and no locker is just more dead weight to have to get over an obstacle. I broke a stub in Moab and it is unbelieveable what going from locked to 3 wheeling does to capabilities. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, bigger tires that aren't pulling won't help much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The locker will get more traction to the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Whats more important to you? looks, street, offroad? If the offroad you do will be complimented perfectly by 36x14.50 and no front locker, I say go for it. Becuase 36x14.50 looks really nice with about 7" of lift. But if looks is no issue, and DD is no issue and you're pretty much in the offroad mind set then locker is your go.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

mudrovers? I had more flats with those tires than any tire I've owned. THey dont self clean very well, are loud and the ply carcass is suckasaurus. Get a locker and a set of all terrains and you will go more places than someone with mud tires and one locker. But that's my opinion so what do i know.... not much

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

NO NO NO.... my friend has 33x12.50 (they look really fat like 13.50 or 14.50) BFG all terains and dual lockers. He struggles thru mud that i get thru with open lockers and 35x12.50 old skool worn BFG mud terains. With KM's im sure if pull soo much better even with open diffs than hima nd his locked allterains.

7. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I agree with TX. In mud I think better tread is better than being locked. Once the rpms are high and all the tires are boiling in soft stuff it doesnt make much difference. But I see tires in three steps AT/MT and Nylon. Not a lot of difference between SSRs and and a regular MT. In your case I would go with the locker and MTs unless you are willing to consider some SXs, Boggers, or plain old TSLs.

8. HarryH3

Last time I went through Nevada (where the original poster lives) it didn't look like there would be much mud to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif In the rocks, as soon as you lift one tire off the ground it doesn't matter how big the tire is. You NEED a locker in that axle to make sure torque is getting to the tire at the other end of the axle that actually has some contact with terra firma. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Even 42's are useless when they're only making contact with air. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

True, there isn't much mud in NV. But every winter we go to a local reservior that dries up, its pretty large and has a very clay-ish bottom. You can hit that stuff at 50 and its like slamming on the brakes, even though your tires never slow down. Looks like I'll be going with the 35" MT's and another locker...

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When you get into a dry lake that isn't dry anymore....It's no joke some of the worst mud I've ever wheeled in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Mostly dry all year, but right now my friends and I are getting stuck at an exponential rate. I would go with the locker. It always seems that if that other tire would spin I wouldn't be stuck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm in Fallon by the way.
    -Brian

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go with a locker or two. I went out with a bunch of Jeeps yesterday and they all had bigger tires than me except the only XJ. I got through everything they did and only had to get yanked once. I'm sure with my 33s I could go just about anywhere they could go if I had lockers. My approach and departure angles are horrible though.

I accrued a lot of carnage this weekend. The bent pushbar and mangled driver's side tailpipe could've been avoided if I had lockers.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I disagree with you guys if mud is the primary usage. I'd much rather have better tires and one locker than mediocre tires lockers in both ends.

Now if it was the choice between open diffs and good tires and two lockers with crappy tires, I'd take the two lockers. But the rear locker does 70-80% of the work anyway. I'd get some Swampers and leave the front open for now.

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

get some locking hubs, and weld it locked, then drive 3 wheel drive on the road, 4x4 in the mud/rocks whatever!

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I disagree with you guys if mud is the primary usage. I'd much rather have better tires and one locker than mediocre tires lockers in both ends

[/ QUOTE ]

Its Nevada mud is never the primary terrain.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well in a perfect world, he'd have both, but since we live in reality, I'd much rather have the better tires. Just me though, I like good tires. All the spinning in the world does you no good if you're not throwing any mud, just like all the tire in the world does you no good if it's not on the ground. A flexible suspension like our trucks have though combined with a locker in the rear makes them pretty capable even without a locker up front. Sure, it's nice, but I think the tires would help more personally.

It's just a matter of preference I suppose.

16. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

Best of both worlds.

Why not get the front locked up and get the cheaper tires. Then when you have another lump of cash to throw around buy your dream tires after seeing what you were lacking in the terrain that you wheel. Then put an ad in your local classifieds and sell the cheaper set of tires to someone else looking to budget build a 4x4. I bought a nice set of used tires because I cannot afford to get new stuff in my current situation. They will sell quickly.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've found that spinning tires only gets me stuck faster. Many times I've had to cheat and use the brake pedal to keep two tires from spinning madly and use the stupid pedal.

I don't have good tires, I have relatively good tires. They aren't stinkin' ATs but they aren't TSLs either.

There is only one place this weekend that lockers wouldn't have helped me any and that's because I was pushing an embankment from a washout with my headlights. I had to get winched out of that but so did half the rest of the group. I could've avoided my bent pushbar if I'd made it up an offcamber waterfall but instead I lost traction with two tires, slid sideways, bent my pushbar (as it dug into the mud), and bent my bumper and my right front fender (as it came crashing into the wall). I could've been able to avoid my mangled tailpipe if I didn't have to back up and give another hill a try because I lost traction. It's also the same time I bent my box by the taillight and broke the taillight.

18. HarryH3

Check out the pictures from Independence Trail and see why lockers are more important than tires when playing in the rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Tires in the sky have a zero coefficient of friction. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Without a locker up front your rig becomes a 2WD once a front tire leaves mother earth. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tough call... i mean a ff14 with little tires... uhg, hello land anchor! Personally I'd get some MTRs... super-cheap steel rims... and then save a lil more $ for ur locker.

j

20. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    tough call... i mean a ff14 with little tires... uhg, hello land anchor! Personally I'd get some MTRs... super-cheap steel rims... and then save a lil more $ for ur locker.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I think is the best bet. Look at this way you are taking a big hit with tires no matter what might as well spend a little extra now instead of just running crap tires until you can afford something better. Since you are looking at 36x14.50 TSL R, and 37" SSR why not go with a Goodyear? $162 from tire rack would save enough money you would just have to cut out a few weekends of drinking to get a locker. So basicly get good tires now and a locker soon, or a locker now and [censored] tires for a longer period of time. Which seems more economical and usefull to your current needs is up to you.

Just a note
    MT/R vs SSR = $172 savings
    MT/R vs TSL/R = $320 savings