Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Mig post. Hobart welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Feb 21, 2005.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler140.html
    I can get this welder locally for 469.00. another 120.00 for full 55cf tank of argon, 50.00 for cart and they will throw in a 11# spool solid wire. my choice of size. total of 639+local tax. Anybody use this welder? They told me that miller makes Hobart welders.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, Hobart is made my Miller. Bascially what you're getting is a Miller with a few cheaper parts inside. Little things like I believe the spool drum is plastic where the Miller is metal....

:thumb:

From what I've heard, you'll probably be happy with it!

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have that same unit. it has 35 wire now and i can weld the hell out of any thing on my truck. and if smaller wire i can do body work. i like it. the price for the bottel is that rent or own the bottel?

4. bablazer73

own it. I won't rent.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hobart is pretty good stuff. When I was at 4x4 Iron's shop in Colorado a few years back before the move Tim used a Hobart 175 I believe it was. I use a Miller 135 quite a bit and I really like it. Best 110V welder I have seen and used. Hobart is one step down from the True Blue Miller.

Harley

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

a 135 is a 135

lincoln, hobart, miller pretty much the same capacity and all very similar units.

i understand you are looking at the 140 wich is a good welder i almost got one but i found a deal on a 135. as it is now my lincoln 135 can handle pretty much anything on my blazer, so a 140 should work out great.

I havent gotten the gas yet im only like on my 3rd or 4th roll of self shileding wire.

Get a auto darking helmet. Your welds will come out so much better and even in dim areas you can see whatever you are welding. 49 bux on harborfreight. Cant beat it

PEace

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got the Hobart 135 which is essentially the same unit. Bought it used for $229 and it's been GREAT.

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Oh yea tim, that one you ripped off of me. Good welder i hear

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats *really* good to hear cause that is the one that I'm looking to get this spring. I want to build some bumpers and maybe a roll bar/cage and also some bodywork. Good to hear that is is capable of that.

10. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I bought a Handler 180 about 8 months ago. I love it. Had the gas flow meter go out and took it back to where I bought it. They warranteed it no questions asked and everything works fine. I've heard one of the differences between Hobart and Miller is the drive roller assembly. The only thing I'd like to see on the Hobart welders is a infinately variable voltage selecter instead of the 1, 2, 3, or 4 detents, but that wouldn't stop me from buying another Hobart Welder.

I'm sure the shop where your buying it knows what they are doing, but I'd just inquire about the shielding gas. You mentioned Argon, but for mild steel you should have a 75% Argon, 25% CO2 mix. Straight Argon is for either Aluminum or Stainless Steel (I'm not sure which), and you can kill your regulator if you run different gasses through it.

Scott

11. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I have a hobart 110v and love it my sales rep at praxair talked me out of the miller version that was over $100 more when he showed me the increased range the hobart had

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have a Miller 135 that I use here and there for some time now. It's a good little machine. I think it does 1/4" ok but not much more than that. It's about to get sold off. (already spoken for) I replaced it with a much larger machine. Since I have the tig in the shop I don't really need the 110 anymore. The hobart should do well for you for small projects.

13. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I had a handler 135, good welder but a little small for some of the stuff I wanted to do. I bought a new handler 180 on sale last summer for about the same price as what you quoted, my point is if you can use 220, then only buy it once.....

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just looking through the new Northern Tool catalog and they have the Handler 125 for $345 and the 140 for $480.. And Free shipping....

15. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I picked up my Hobart 140 at Tractor Supply a few months back for $440 I think. They were running a winter special. Check em out. If you have a store locally, you wont pay for shipping. Tax might suck though.

16. bablazer73

I saw the welder at tractor supply, but I'm saving some money on the tank and the extra spool of wire if I buy it all at the same time. "package deal" savings. It would cost more if I bought the welder at tractor supply, then the tank and wire at the welding supply house!