Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another mud bog story with pics to illustrate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 16, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's always a long story with me, with a few pictures to illustrate.
    Last weekend was the fall Moyie Mud Bog. I took the Crew Cab with one of my campers we threw on it, and towed the Stepside on the trailer. A couple friends rode with.
    [​IMG]
    Friday the 13th, was indeed Friday the 13th. My carb was running like crap on the Stepside, so I put a spare Edelbrock on, and it wouldn't run right either. And my oil pressure still sucked. But made two runs on the road with it to the store.
    At the campsite, I grabbed the side of a folding chair to scoot it over and sit down, and when I did jammed my right pointer finger in the hinge and cut half of my fingernail in half and half of the skin around my fingertip. Didn't feel it at first, but it was a blood gusher, so I had to make up my own bandage out of paper and masking tape.
    Some other friends showed up. Keith brought his "monster truck", a truck he got that they put a rediculous amount of lift under (18") with 44" Ground Hawgs and 1/2 ton axles and a 350. It wasn't running right either, but after replacing plugs and wires it was running good.
    After dark at the fire, I had locked the stepside doors and put the keys in the camper. We were talking around the fire and I heard this noise in the grass by my truck. Looked over and no one was there. About 5 minutes later, heard it again, looked over, no one was there, but my truck was slowly starting to roll down the hill.
    I immediately ran to stop it, as I remembered the doors were locked, I didn't have the key on me, and if I didn't stop it, it would ram into someone or someone's truck. I thought I was in time to stop it by myself and grabbed the front drivers bogger with my arm and jabbed my foot under the tire. I was mistaken. The truck kept going and plowed my leg under it. After the bogger had finished rolling over my leg, I jumped up and ran to the front bumper to keep trying to slow it, as everyone else from the fire had joined in trying to stop it. It took 5 guys and 2 girls to stop it before it hit anything, then I ran/hobbled over to get the keys, get in it and hit the brakes, then back it up and LEAVE IT IN GEAR this time when I parked it.
    My leg wasn't broke and I was thankful for that. But it sure was sore, and I limped for the rest of the weekend. I only had full 100% usage out of my left hand and right leg.
    Sarurday morning, Keith, Jennifer and Dustin ran to the store. Upon pulling back into the gates, his motor started rattling then died. It was toast.

So... Richard towed it back up to our camp in his Toyota. Later on Keith was randomly talking with some people, and found a guy willing to donate a 350. It was something he never heard run, but was told it ran just smoked a little. So I went with the guy about 15 miles away to go pick it up, stopping along the way to have a flat tire aired up for Jeff's Suburban. Here was the motor, sitting mostly exposed for about a year on it's side in the back of a truck, with rust down the intake. He used a tractor to load it in the back of the Stepside and back to the mud bog we went.
    My oil pressure was extremely low, to the point that when we stopped at NAPA to get oil and a filter for the donated motor, I also got a bottle of Lucas oil treatment in hopes of making it back to camp.
    As I pulled into camp with the motor for Keith's truck, my motor was rattling and knocking. It lasted under 3 weeks and the bottom end took a dump.
    But we had a motor to put in Keith's truck, so that we did. We borrowed Bruce's (the owner of the property and host of the mud bog)'s loader and yanked the old 350 out and dropped the "new" one in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    About 3/4 of the way through the install, we discovered the motor only would turn over so far and then stopped. But we poured ATF down the intake and PB Blazer in the cylinders and got it to break loose and had a bunch of rust shoot out of #1.
    We figured it would be a smoker, but who cared. Also, about this time we finally introduced ourselves to the guy who gave us the motor and learned his name was Tate. Soon, the motor was roaring and smoking to life. I wasn't much help and only put a few bolts in cause I was a bit disabled from the day before, but with Keith, Jeff, Shay, Dustin, Richard, Jeremy and even the girls help, it went pretty quick.
    I said screw it and unhooked my exhaust so I wouldn't hear the knock and ran the stepside anyways for a few passes. I figured if it blew up, I only had about 300 bucks into it anyways.
    What amazed us all is how the freebie motor ran... NO smoke whatsoever, turned high rpms on demand, had plenty of power, and ran so good it finally broke both front axleshafts, and then later in the day blew the spider gears out of the rear end.
    [​IMG]
    I made on last night run with the rotating lights, and my 454 was still in one piece, so I parked it in hopes it wouldn't be too costly of damage done to the crank yet.
    All in all, it was a fun weekend. Though out of all of us camped together:
    Keith's original motor went, then front axleshafts and steering rag joint, threw the belts, then rear end.
    My motor started knocking after more on-road time than mudding time, plus I almost lost a fingertip and my truck ran over my leg.
    Richards Toyota ended up with the right front tire sitting toed out and at an angle, plus broke both front birfields.
    Jeremy's Chevy broke both front axleshafts, and then his tranny was slipping too.
    By Sunday we were all broke, and then headed out after watching a little.
    Our camp area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jeremy's Chevy with his new 383 stroker
    [​IMG]
    Jeff's Suburban (a local guy from Bonners Ferry Idaho). He had to be push started all weekend and also had no clutch. Also threw alot of belts.
    [​IMG]
    Richard's Toyota, of the Mud Sluts group.
    [​IMG]
    Group picture, well, most of us.
    [​IMG]
    On the way back, the camper started loosing a piece of siding, so I had to add some duct tape support.
    [​IMG]
    Then my truck in one poof going down the highway lost almost all it's coolant... we still don't know why except we had to fill the radiator and motor all the way back up again and there were no leaks or bad hoses.
    Some miles later, as soon as my friend Jeremy commented on how well the truck drove down the highway, it backfired and died. No power to the starter. Found out the main starter terminal nut was gone and the wires just fell off.
    After fixing that we finally made it home without more problems.
    Now I get to tear my 454 back out of the stepside and apart again. It lasted 3 weeks.
    The End.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ah man that is yet again anoter awsome story! I love thw ons that involve major motor work at the sight of a mud bog. Good work my friend. Too bad though about the 454.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol allan, no one can call me crazy compared to you,
    you the king of crazzzy:bow:

5. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Great story ! You guys never give up when things break down do you?:bow:

6. Mudallica

Mudallica Registered Member

Whacked out tale there! Sorry I couldn't join you guys in the festivities, bleeding and breaking of vehicles!

Have you wondered if your motor is cursed and needs to be thrown away?

So did any one from our region go and NOT break their rigs or bodies???

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

woah, you guys have the offroad version of 9 lives. run over by your truck, no breaks, engine blows, get a free one. how to pull it? here's a bulldozer. but those poor trucks. you guys killed them in every way possible. must have been a blast. and swapping an engine that fast without proper workspace, and probably lacking a few tools you'd like...:bow: . nice

8. Mudallica

Mudallica Registered Member

Hey- this year it was just an engine swap. Last year Allan actually rebuilt a motor out there in the dirt and mud!

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As always, awesome story! You are one lucky dude.

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That was a great read!

11. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

your storys are always great. dedication is what it takes to change an engine at a mud bog.

12. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

Hell Yeah, sounds like a good ol' time !!!!:saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

13. mattman4x4

mattman4x4 1/2 ton status

Great story thanks for posting it!

14. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Now that is commitment... throwing a leg in front of a tire:haha: :screwy: . I love it. I mean I love my rig but I've seen legs break over less. It would depend on how fast she was going tho. Anyway, its all your falt for going to a mud bog of friday the 13th. Your lucky jason didn't pop out of a bush and kill you and your truck:D .

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Holy cow Allan.:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: I gotta hang out with you guys,never a dull moment.:D

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

beautiful.

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

awesome story. sucks that all that happened to you though.

18. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Allen - you rock! That was laugh out loud funny!