Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another newb question....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kamots, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Hey guys on my 87K5 i havent put on the warn premium lock-outs yet so it still has the autolock-outs. So set me straight here, with my autolocks does the front driveshaft turn even in 2wd? Will puting the manual lock-outs stop this? Or is my thinking a little off today?
    Sorry for the newb question but im rather inquisitive today. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kamots

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

It should not! They are supposed to automatically lock when you put 4X4. Thats why, at least on my old Cherokee, when I took it out of 4wd, I had to put it in R for about 10' to get it to disengage. Ive never had the auto hubs on a chevy, but someone here will be able to tell you bettter. Get someone next to you as you drive slow when your in 2wd and if the front driveshaft is spinning, I might be way wrong, but I'd be changin hubs in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Thanks trouble1 ill check that. This forums rok's!!!

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, with the autohubs, you need to back up app. 10 feet to get the hubs to disengage.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Swap in some manual hubs...the auto hub's will leave you stranded when it's most inconvenient. It's an easy job and not to spendy either.

Rene

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can get you a set of those for $72 and change plus s/h from Portland. If you cant find them cheaper.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know with the 205's sometimes the front shaft will turn while in 2wd, 208's might too. They don't turn like the hubs are locked in, its just the other components in the 4wd system imparting a bit of "power" to the shaft, making it appear that its turning. I'd bet that if you held the shaft in place somehow, while driving, it wouldn't turn, unless of course it was in 4wd or the hubs were locked in.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I noticed that because on my truck there is no carpet or boot so I can see my driveline when I am driving, and one time I thought I had forgotten to put it back into 2wd.
    Well after a couple of miles it will stop turning so I guess it's the oil dragging it and when it heats up and liquifies the oil, it stops.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif