Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another newbie question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 14, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So this morning was the first time i test drove the K5 I am looking at WHEN IT WAS COLD OUT...It was like 30 degrees I think.Anyhow, when you would turn the steering wheel, it felt like the power steering was very jerky, and it also caused the belts to squeel a little bit. It had none of these symptoms when it was warm out...Is it just a loose belt or is the power steering pump goin south?
    Thanks again,
    Chris

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/15/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster, & pretty to boot

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When it is cold out, the pump will have to work harder. The grease in the joints is thicker and the fluid in the pump is as well. You should hear the rear suspension on my Firebird when the temp drops below 40!

When the pump has to work harder, it can tend to cause the belts to squeal a little. You may tend to get similar results when sitting still and trying to crank on the wheel.

I'm not saying that the pump may not be going out, but what you described is common, I feel.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most likely the belt isn't as tight as it should be.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>