Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Night At the Track

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

After getting off at 5am, then sitting around for an hour talking to the local chief where I live, I got home, got to bed and was back up at 11am to head to my brother's shop to get his factory stock race car ready for tonight's action.

Nothing big, add oil; put on the rear bumper (weekly occurance since the asshat down the street seems attracted to it), change out the rear tires and load the thing on the trailer and off we went.

We got to the track and a holesaw was taken to the nosepiece because today was the hottest day say far and he had been running about 240. Then he went out for practice and came back after a few laps kind of pissed off cause the motor wasn't running right.

So my wife placed the Cingular Call to the Crew Chief of the Stars, which is my father-in-law and he talked to my brother for a few minutes, then the hood came up. Not a whole lot we could do there, but we (they, carbs SUCK!!!!) tweaked the carb and that was about all we could do at the track.

To give ya a run down on his season, it's been pretty good for him and he's a noob to all of this. He has had his fair share of problems. About two months ago, the asshat down the street, who makes Jeff Gordon look tame, played door tag with him and my brother went into the wall head first at about 40 mph. Got the car repaired, then it was time for the asshat down the street to come up with new and exciting ways to remove his rear bumper. A couple of weeks ago, he tore up a tie rod and got that fixed this week and then it was time to race tonight.

He drew the pole position with the asshat down the street, and the fastest car in the field behind my brother. To give ya an idea how the class is, there's the fastest car in the field, he pretty much wins what he wants :cough:illegal parts:cough:, but no one really cares. There's my brother the noob. He's got a good head on his shoulders and races everyone pretty clean. Most of the rest of the class really isn't competitive, but they race clean. Then there's the asshat down the street and another guy and these two clowns would be kicked off the bumper car track down at the local amusement park. The asshat down the street, if he isn't bumping and banging, he's off the track somewhere. The other one, well he can keep it on the track, but has a habit of driving through cars. I actually met the asshat down the street a few weeks down at the convenience store, but he didn't know who I was, and my buddy, a local cop brought up the little wall incident. Seems this ****wad doesn't appreciate the fact that breakage means $$$. I guess I was lucky because the racers I'm used to hanging around actually have respect for each other and they know that getting into car crashing wars means they have a lot of work to do.

Well, back to the race. The flag dropped and my brother got a good jump. Seems the carb tweak helped. The fastest guy was quickly gaining and would have passed my brother on Lap 2, but because my brother was in front, he got first choice on track position and closed the door. The yellow flew for a few laps, then they went green again. My brother got a great jump and two laps after the restart, our hearts sank. Seems the engine pulled the James Bond smoke screen stunt and you could tell by the color of the smoke, and the amount, it wasn't good news. He came into the pits and as he was pulling up, oil was pouring out of the bottom, so he rammed it up onto the trailer while it was still running. He got out, said he heard a bang and walked to the stands. I opened the hood and of course, it wasn't good. There was the dreaded oil/coolant mixture on the trailer and it was all over the engine.

We got back to the shop after the races, of course he kept on quizzing me on what to do; go with the 302HO engine or run a stock 351 until he could get this one rebuilt. Of course, we didn't have a clue on how bad this engine was, and I'm not an engine person, much less Ford; so I really couldn't give him a straight answer. We pulled out lights and started looking and found a Texas sized hole in the oil pan, so hopefully he'll be able to get it rebuilt and back out on the track.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

With the clues you left, TexAss size hole in the pan and chocolate milkshake on the floor, and the loud "Bang" before shutdown, I'd bet your not gonna get to rebuild that one, prolly threw a rod, muffed up the crank real bad and more than likely tore the hell outa the underside of the block. Can you say boat anchor?? :doah:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's a Ford engine anyway, about the only good use for one :doah:

I guess he's expecting me to come over and pull the thing today; but unfortunately I'm in recovery mode. I got waylayed by some Coronas after the race, then I got waylayed in various parts of the house by the wife when we got home.

It's NASCAR then Into the West for me today.............................. :D