Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Night At The Track

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It was the first night of the fair races and before we left the shop, I knew it was going to be a long night when my brother told me the starter went out. We got up there and we got him out for his first heat race and then he went out for the feature.

A few laps in, he was running a solid third, but someone got into him and it was time to change a flat under green. By the way, did I tell you the hot pits were about about 2" of sand and if you recall the starter issue? Well, it took the tow truck to get him back out since we couldn't get the thing push started. He went about two more laps and the engine let go, so he was through for the evening. Really sucks and I think I've got the engine problem nailed. I think the little blue oval is the real culprit.

At least we had some excitement in the other races. The street stock guys were running a heat race and this one guy was doing his best impression of Jeff Gordon. Coming out of a turn, he drove through one guy and started challenging for the lead. Well this guy apparently doesn't know what brakes are for and bumped and banged the leader for awhile until he overdrove his skill level and finished third or something.

But that's not the end of the story on this guy. The car that he drove through got in behind him as they were coming off the track and gave him a couple of love taps. Nothing hard, just a "hey ****tard, nice driving." Then he whipped around the asshat and I couldn't see exactly what transpired next since there was so much dirt being thrown up, then the people started running to the cars. As the dirt was settling, I could see the asshat climb out of his car and the car he drove through was parked in front of him. I don't know what this asshat was thinking, but apparently he felt he needed to have "an understanding" with the poor guy that he drove though. In the end, both guys got kicked out, but the asshat apparently isn't making any friends fast on the track.

The last race of the evening was the hobby stock. I help out one of the driver's, a kid who went on a ride along with me last week. There must have been at least ten cars on the track. There was this one asshat that apparently went to the Jeff Gordon School of Driving also. If he wasn't spinning out, he was driving through people. After a few laps, he apparently had some sort of brain malfunction and forgot what the brake pedal was for and just went hammer down. This old boy didn't care if there was another car in his way, he was driving through them. Finally after a couple of laps, he got the old heave hoe off the track.

All in all, another bad night for my team. Hopefully things will get fixed and we'll finish a night.

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What kind of car are you running I just took mine to the frame shop to try and get the front clip straight from the wall that jumped out and hit it :D

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It's a Ford, I think maybe a Granada. The sheetmetal is too bent up to try and tell the model. It's a Factory Stock class car.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Time to start buying some of those Crown Vics your dept. retires out. I'm sure you know how to drift in one of those...... :D

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I would love to if they were race legal.................. :mad:

6. kgblazerfive

Yea I hate that I bough the car that I did would have been better off buying a Modified. Since I bent it though I have too much into it not to fix it and it looks like all next year to learn how to drive

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I was at my brother's shop tonight. He starts looking and finds a hole in the oil pan. At least it wasn't like a month ago when you could look in one side of the pan and see out of the other. Needless to say, I came home, got changed and went back over. We're getting good at this pulling engine BS. We had the thing out in about an hour. I'm glad he's paying the bills and not me. :D

I'd love to get a car, but even when I can afford it, I might balk due to the fact that I could only afford Hobby or Factory stock and those two classes have enough asshats to fill a DNC convention.

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My, how times change. When I was racing in OK back in the 80's, all the jerks were in street stock and super stock. All us pure stock guys didn't have the bucks to tear our equipment up. I ran a 67 LeMans with a 76 TA 400 motor, 1000cfm Thermoquad, Turbo 400 and welded 3.08 rearend. My bro in law and I took 1st overall the first season we ran. That 400 Poncho motor had so much more low end than the SBCs, they could not catch us coming out of the turns. My favorite memory is welding a fender back on with a spare battery, jumper cables and some coat hangers!!!!

9. kgblazerfive

The stuff that is killing me on cost is the things you don't think about when you decide to start racing. We have to run transponders, $350.00, radio racecievers $150, then stagger stick, tools for the track cause ya don't want to have to unload them every week rather leave them in the trailer, then the trailer expense. I have had a lot of expenses that I won't ever have again cause I'm just starting out and most of the stuff that I had before I had sold. I have also tried to buy two of everything that could break belts, hoses etc. Haven't even got to get tires yet bought right sides slightly used at $50 a piece still running on last years left side. What really sucks the most is I am basically doing this by myself got no friends who are into cars, and have a clue on how to fix them. Thought about running a help wanted add to get a pit crew.

Edit The track I run in the Super Stock class is their beginner class, I have over five grand into my car and have to buy a new crate motor next year or run a 7/8 restrictor plate instead of the 1in one that we run this year.

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Keith, I got a fullplate right now, but, I am a pretty fair wrench, and this Algebra class ends next week, I'd be willing to give a guy a hand. You know where I am. :D

11. kgblazerfive

Heck yes I will call you