Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another NV4500 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jun 8, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, as I understand it these came in 92-up Chevy 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, right? The 1/2 came with a different manual? How can I ID a NV4500 if it's not in the truck or if the truck is not identifiable as 1/2 or 3/4 ton? DOes it matter 2wd vs 4wd?
    Also, the 92-95 Chevy NV4500 came with the old style bellhousing, while 95-up switched to the Dodge style. So this means I could get a Dodge NV4500, right? I like that idea because the reverse in a Dodge is synchro.
    These come ready to fit a 231/241 or 208, right? Even the 2wd? So, I would need a AA adaptor or switch output shafts...? What's the best way to go here? I would HATE to blow $1000 or so and get a really big paperweight.
    -- Mike

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey Tex,

Ya need to get the Advance Adapter NV4500 info pamphlet. I think this has the answers you seek.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.advanceadapters.com>http://www.advanceadapters.com</A> They have tons of info on their swaps on the site. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. TexasCruiser

TexasCruiser Registered Member

If you have any luck finding some NV4500's in the Texas area let me know. I would like to put one with a 4.3L in my truck.

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I've looked into nv4500's, and everybody told me the 2wd was different from the 4wd... call jbconversions the guy is pretty nice to answer questions like that

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Okay. The NV4500 is distinguished from the lighter Getrag and NV3500 by the separate bellhousing. The other two have the bellhousing built in. The NV4500 also has an iron body with PTO provisions. It has an aluminum top cover (like the last of the 4-speeds) and aluminum tailhousing.

The 2wd and 4wd versions are different. The 2wd is a 35-spline with a bolt-on yoke. It uses a different tailhousing than the 4wd. The 4wd uses a 32-spline output. To convert one to the other, you need the extension housing and output shaft.

My only experience with the Dodge NV4500 is a diesel application. The bolt-pattern on it is the same as the 96-up GM version. The input shaft and output shaft are still different.

I don't know what type of clutch mechanism the Dodge uses. GM used a hydraulically actuated fork from 91-95. 96-onwards uses a hydraulic throw-out bearing.

It is very likely a Dodge tranny (after having the input/output swapped) will work on a 91-95 bellhousing. Don't worry about the pattern on the tranny - the transmission housing didn't change - the holes are simply drilled in a different location.

The Dodge only used a NP241 which is a left-hand drop. With the GM, there is the choice of the NP241 or (1-ton only) Borg-Warner 4401 - both left-hand drop. The only right-hand drop case I am aware of that is a true bolt-on for the GM NV4500 is a 88-91 NP241 from a 2500 series Suburban. An earlier NP208 from a TH400 or 4-speed application may fit too, but I haven't tried it.

A 32-spline NP205 could be adapted, but will require (in my best judgement) a 1-2" spacer ring, custom shifter, and minor clearancing of the tailhousing to accomodate the shift pins.

7. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've bolted a late model 205 to the NV4500. After many discussions with AA and a bunch of BS from them, I figured out the the short input gear and a late model 205 case will bolt right up. You need to clearance the output housing of the NV4500 but this cost me $35 at a local machine shop. Hope this helps some.

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

When you say late model 205, what years would this be?

I have an early 205 which I converted to 32 spline, and bolted to my 4500.
    I use the Advanced Adaptors
    kit and did the swap in June 1995. Since then I have put 100k + miles on the swap.
    I recently pulled the trans out because I heard too much metal slap. I found that the
    splines on the 205 and 4500 were both worn about 75%. I am wondering if the
    missing 4500 flywheel causes this. Or maybe they would have worn this much anyway?

SteveB

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Which input gear? The 32-spline female?

On the stock NV4500, I believe the output shaft extends out of the tailhousing my a small margin - say 1/2". After I took the 205 off a late 4-speed, the output was recessed into the adapter. Does the NV4500 shaft bottom out in the 205 input before the case mates up?

Now I wish I had actually tried fitting them together!

Also, what did you mount the shifter to?

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If I understand what you're saying, the NV4500 ouput and NP205 input splines are worn? Make sure you grease the splines before you bolt them together.

The flywheel won't have anything to do with that. Not having a pilot bushing in your crankshaft will wear out the NV4500 input pretty quick though.

11. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

You are sooo sneaky! Steve Buster indeed.

12. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

My case is out of an 89 1 ton 'V' series that came with a manual trans. Somewhere in the late 80's chevy changed the bolt pattern to a 6 bolt pattern that matches the NV4500. It had a long 32 spline female input gear. This gear would have required a spacer between the trans and tcase. Since I had a short 32 spline input I swapped them out. I forget the amount of engagement but I measured the engagement on the original trans and tcase and I think that my setup actually added almost a 1/4" extra spline contact. It did not bottom out in the input gear. I can even use a factory gasket between the Tcase and trans.

13. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I didn't have time earlier to cover your shifter question. I used the stock 205 shifter and mounted it to a bracket that I made. The bracket mounts under the NV4500 trans mount. It looks like an 'L' that angles back towards the Tcase. I used 1/4" plate to minimize any flexing. I then drilled and tapped a boss on the rear right hand side of the NV4500 case. Be careful how deep you drill this. I then bent some 1/8" plate to bolt to this boss and welded it to the 'L' bracket. I could then bend the lower part of the original 205 shifter straight and clear the trans and Tcase. I used a lot of heat on this and let the shifter air cool. You need to watch where you drill and tap the bracket for the shifter so that the mounting bolt does not hit the floor pan. I then used an adjustable shift rail from an old four speed to connect the shifter to the Tcase. This took about four hours total to figure out and build. This allows you to use the factory hole and boot for the shifter.

14. Steve_87K5

Yes, both sets of splines were really worn. As one way of reducing drive train
    play I was thinking of using Loc tite grey silicone with a teflon mold release.
    (instead of grease) Just a thought... The mini flywheel: If I could use it I would
    just to see if it minimized the slap I get when lifting gas pedal
    and transitioning from drive to coast.

SteveB

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the tooth profiles of the male and female splines don't match exactly. Kinda like gears, where if the teeth don't have a good contact pattern, they'll eaat themselves up quickly...

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

16. Steve_87K5

Spline profiles are the same in my instance. (I am aware of such differences,
    such as triangular cross sectional shape vs trapezoidal)

Remember... the spline wear I brought up here was over a period
    of 5 years and 100k++ miles, including much trailer hauling with a
    GCVW of around 12 to 15000 lbs. Also, the splines were not sufficiently greased,
    as I put on only a light coating in 1995 when I built the drivetrain.

When I replace these parts I will heavily grease the splines!

SteveB