Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another oil leak question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have replaced my front main seal, timeing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, harmonic ballancer and fuel pump gasket, and my blazer is still leaking oil from the bottem front passenger side. I did a perfect job on all of them. I am baffled. Why else could my truck be leaking oil? I dont think it is a cracked block for a couple of reasons. It is leaking from the lower front end of my engine. Seems to be too low for it to be on the block, although it is hard to tell because the wind blows the oil up. The other reason is because my truck has not over heated or seen any cold water lately. It only leaks if I take it out on the highway. When I drive around the neighborhood or let it run in the driveway I can not see any leaks. It seems to be RPM and or oil pressure related. Please help!
    What else?????

Sparky

78 K-5

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Fuel Pump seal maby? Mine was leaking a while ago I just tightened the bolts and no problems since

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Mine was leaking on the driver side/rear of the block.. I found it to be the valve cover wasn't tightned down all the way..

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I'll bet on the valve covers. I just put new ones in my 85 (no fun) It driped down the block, behind the exhaust manifold at highway speeds. If you replace them and have stock exh. manifolds. Get Cork. These neoprene gaskets burn and stink. They rest right on the manifolds. Good luck!

"who dares wins"

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, but I dont think it is the valve cover gaskets. Those are new too, and the top of the block is dry. It is all comeing from the bottem front of the engine. Mostly on the passenger side, but i think that is because of the direction the fan and pullys spin. Does abnybody know where any of the oil jacket plugs are. It is a 350. Maybee the oil is comeing out of one of those. Keep the help comeing.

Sparky

78 K-5

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could it be coming out of the bottom of the dipstick tube where it goes into the block? Mine did this to me not that long ago, I had oil all over the lower passenger side of the motor as well as the starter. It would also only leak at higher RPM's, I guess at lower RPM's the splash was a lot less.
    Hope that helps.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>There you go, what about the oil pressure switch? (Oops, that is normally on the drivers side) You said harmonic balancer, do you mean the seal in the timing chain cover? What about the fuel pump itself? I would bet on the front seal, even though you said that you got it right, I would try to check it. I would hose it (the whole front of the motor that is oily) down real good with carb. cleaner, brake cleaner, or even go to the carwash and clean it, put down some fresh cardboard or something and try to see where it is dripping from. - Steve<font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

8. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Ya, look at the dipstick. Mine did that, some RTV and all is good. Love that stuff!

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

9. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I'll check the dip stick, but mine is on the drivers side. As for the fuel pump... I replaced the gasket where it mates to the block. Could the pump itself be leaking oil somewhere? I have tried cleaning the motor and then checking where the oil is leaking from, but because it only leaks on the highway it is impossible to tell. That oil covers the entire underside of my truck when I get back from driveing it. All I can tell is that it is comeing from the front passenger side. I'll check everything when I go back to SanAntonio next weekend. I am in Austin durring the week. Keep the help comeing.

Sparky

78 K-5

10. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yes, the fuel pump can get a pin hole and leak oil, I have seen it happen. I would still try washing it off again and try the cardboard thing, you might have to rev the engine up. BUT DON'T KILL IT!! Don't rev it up too high, maybe like 2-3 grand, if you have a tach. Or you could go by sound. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

11. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I'll try cleaning it again. Last time it was impossible to clean though. Sure you could get it clean, but not dry. Makes it hard to see where it is comeing from. Oh well. It will have to do.

78 K-5