Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another one bites the dust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Chalk me up for tranny # 6 or 7. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Least I found the noise I was thinking was in the Tcase. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Another one? Man. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yweah, i have been through a few in my K5....
    thats why i swapped in a 465.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGrant

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

*cough* SM465 *cough*

Sorry to hear it Steve.../forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene

5. Pure Insanity

Reality is setting in and THIS SUX! I am considering tearing PI all apart agin and just going thru cleaning and such like that. Basicly Im frustrated I guess. Right when I think I have all the stuff worked out and its near bulletproof, and I can start enjoying it...........

I found out the tranny is 2 months out of warrantee, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif HOPEFULLY the guy will make it right. In all reality I havent wheeled very much at all, and PI was parked for almost 6 months, when I was working out of town and couldnt drive it to work everyday so I took it off the road. Between that and both my knees blowing out is why I had it for sale for a while.

Guess Im rambling at this point. Im just aggrivated at the moment, and having just drove home my brothers built Civic has me doubting WTH Im doing this for. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Sounds like you need a 400.

7. Pure Insanity

I was thinking that myself earlier. When I get it out and down to the tranny shop Ill find out what exactly went wrong.

If the 350 just isnt up to the task, Ill have to find another route. Ill prob get the 350 done again then start trying to find a 400. I am not gonna pull my tranny every year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A 465 keeps coming to mind but most of my wheeling is in mud (even the trails down here make building for mud ness.) and an auto is better for that IMO. If I tach out I just click the next gear. No lost momentum. But thats just my opinion.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

465 is great for reliabilty...but they do place second for mud IMHO. If i was building a mud truck it'd have to be a TH400...

Rene

9. Pure Insanity

Well after staying up till 4AM worrying about this, Im over it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Im not gonna let this bug me anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif All I can do is roll w/ the punches at this point.

My game plan is to get the 350 done up AGAIN, then start looking for a 400 and 205. When I hit that point I will be a D60 away from being bombproof. Er at least I hope so. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

What bites big time is I am going to a club meeting Monday evening to look into joining and I wont even have the Blazer to drive. Wonder if Ill get lynched for driving my brothers Civic. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Maybe a stupid question. Is whoever is installing your trannies flushing out the tranny cooler and lines? If not that is what is eating your tranny is the left of metal in the cooler. Just a thought.

11. Pure Insanity

Im the one installing them at the shop. I have flushed out everytime I had a problem before, but that turned out to be a bad tranny case w/ internal cracks in the fluid passages. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It was stuck between 1st and reverse. Whatever gear you put it in was the dominate gear but it was holding back.

This tranny is a totally different one and has been perfect from the time I put it in till the other day. It started making noises that I thought were in the Tcase. When I was driving it the last time I had decided to not drive it anymore till I pulled it apart to figure out what was wrong in the case. Well it wasnt the case and it made it easy for me to not drive it anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I wish I had known it was the tranny to begin w/, I could have pulled it before it grenaded. I have never seen or heard of a tranny doing what this one did. Crunching banging and "popping out". Every tranny I have ever seen go out would start slipping, whining or would just stop moving.

I dont know why Im surprised really, NOTHING about PI has been normal. Im starting to think its just jinxed. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Pure Insanity

Oh and BTW I forgot to note what its doing now, just for anyone curious. It will not start in drive, it feels like its engageing, but not the normal way it does. If I drop it to 1st gear it will take off and I can then shift to 2nd and 3rd. Reverse is normal, and the fluid has a blackish color to it that I am assuming is burned up clutch material. When its in drive I have hung my head out the door and it sounds like its almost a crunching sound. Its kind of hard to explain.

Whatever it is its not good. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the whining slipping death is clutch pak failure or pump not building pressure.
    the cruncher is hard parts like gears.

could be as simple as someone didnt mag the parts and a cracked piece went in and failed or ...

a 350 is a good tranny and should be up to the task of what you are asking of it.

sounds like just bad luck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. Pure Insanity

Well I hope to be able to come out of this under warantee or at least cheaply.

I just hope whatever let go in there didnt wipe out anything else.

I figured a 350 should hold up OK as I have seen them behind drag cars and live. I would rather have the 350 over the 400 simply since it takes more power to run a 400 vs a 350. BUT the 400 is stronger. Its a trade off I guess. Im gonna give 350s one last shot. If it pukes again I am going 400.

I think I just have bad luck when it comes to this rig. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When my 700 went out it made horrible grinding noises. This was little pieces in the converter and the oil pump. As the pieces got moved around, it began to jerk and shudder because of stuff in the planetaries. It also stopped shifting much if at all because of the junk in the valve body. It pretty much went from normal to nearly immobile over about 5 miles.

If you've got broken parts in the tranny, you really should go over everything carefully to make sure it's all cleaned out. Try to deduce which part failed first so that your next one is stronger, if possible.

16. Pure Insanity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This was little pieces in the converter and the oil pump.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thats a BRAND new converter! I planned on draining it out, (has a cool little plug in it) but didnt think about pieces getting in there. Well looks like PI will be out of commission for a bit then if thats the case.

I hope he can isolate what caused this to happen. Just for curiousity if nothing else.

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I know i am a little far away, but I have 2 4x4 th400's. both are in 3/4 ton trucks. I can hook you up with the trany, crossmember, front shaft, if you can't find anything local. I can't tell you if the tranny works. I bought trucks with a blown engines. core value for trans 50.00. It's buried in 3ft of snow now(not that you would know what that is!!) so I really can't do much wuth it now.

18. Pure Insanity

Thanx Ill keep that in mind if anything major has happened. Ill prob pick up a 400 just to have one incase it goes again. Right now I am trying to work a trade for a 350/205 combo. Unless he has a 400/205 that is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I know all to well what snow is, I was born and raised in Mass. till I was 13 or 14. (cant remember) I still talk to 1 of my friends from up there and razz him about wearing shorts in the winter down here. Actually he lives in NY now, hes a DJ at a radio station.

19. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

where in NY? what station?

20. Pure Insanity

I for the life of me cant remember right now. I lost his # and Email addy when I changed ISPs. (had it saved in my Email folder) Ill track him down again soon Im sure, we normally catch up every so often. I can tell you he was broadcasting from the foot of the Twin Towers the summer before 9/11 if that tells you anything. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I THINK he uses his real name on air but Im not sure. So if you know of any DJs named Jason that may be him.